re-charging aircon 1991 XMV6si

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulxmski
My Cars:

re-charging aircon 1991 XMV6si

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi all,
When I went to my local a/c people they looked up the XMV6si and said that according to their list a 1991 XMV6si is charged with R134. I am not so sure about this. I have been ringing around the a/c people and it is surprising what they say [):]. The number of the car is actually 5077 which means it was manufactered in Oct 1990. Some said they would use RS24 and others said RS24 runs at much higher pressure than R21 and therefore they wont use it. One lot said they would convert it to r134 for £120 another said a `proper' conversion would cost £320. Another lot said they would extract the R12 and recharge with R134 and another oil for £120 and they said they do it on old Rolls-Royces all the time and the a/c runs fine. Anyone know the definitive truth [?] Apparently it is easy to find out which gas is in the system by the type of charging connector fitted i.e screw on is R21 and clip on is r134, but where are these connectors in the engine bay and which is high and which is low[?] Also where should I find the labels that state which gas is in the system [?]
[8D] Thanks everybody [8D].
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

I don't know about XMs, but I have had 2 jags converted from R12, one to Isceon 49 and 1 to R134. Obviously if your car originally had R134 then you just need to get it filled with that. The charging ports will be in the pipes to and from the compressor, probably close to the compressor. At least some R134 ports have screw fittings, but these have different threads than R12 ports.
If your car was originally filled with R12, then there are a few potential problems, such as compatibility of oil, porosity of hoses, and condensor capacity. These are not usually major, but if there is a problem, you want to be dealing with someone who knows what they are doing.
The A/C on my e-type was recomissioned by John at http://www.ac4cars.co.uk/ If you have an excuse to travel into his area, I would recommend him. He has some links to other non-cowboys on his web page.