bx cambelt, diy or not?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ssray
My Cars:

bx cambelt, diy or not?

Post by ssray »

My bx19 diesel needs a new cambelt is it fairly easy to do or are there any reccomendations in the hemel hempstead area? and do i just need the haynes diesel man or both parts?
cheers ray
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

if its the normally aspirated (do you know how many 1.9td are falling into BX's these days!) then its really easy! not too many parts needed and the haynes describes it VERY well!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its a pretty easy DIY job, but access is a bit tight ( I have big hands...)The Haynes diesel engine book covers it pretty well with various pictures taken with the engine out which is a help.
You will need a locking kit-it can be done without it but for the tenner it costs the risk of misalignment is too great, also a 16mm socket for the engine mount and a big socket for the bottom pulley, the size of which I can't remember!! These can be a pain to undo, but do a search on here for peoples various pet methods-I put a long bar on the wrench wedged against the floor, and spin the engine over to shock the nut loose: works every time but you need to be careful and know what you are doing!!
One further point to note is that you will be jacking the engine up down a bit for access so be careful not to overstretch the bottom hose where it goes into the back of the engine.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Take the opportunity to replace the water pump if you are unsure of its provenance or lifespan. It costs an extra GBP10 and takes 10 minutes, and the belt needs to come off if you are replacing it anyway.
Then if you do the water pump, you can undo the bottom hose to drain the coolant, avoiding the stretching possibility that bodger mentions, and take the opportunity to do a coolant flush too!
So you see, it all works out.
Good luck.
BTW, it will be easier to put the bolt in the flywheel if you take the starter motor off - I messed around for an hour trying to get it in (Har, har) before 5 mins taking the starter off, slip bolt in, 5 mins putting it back on afterwards. It's held on with 3 big allen bolts.
Best
Oscar
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

instead of buying the locking kit, get 2 M10 rated bolts to lock the pump and camshaft, then as advised take the starter motor off. You MUST do the water pump at the same time, they wear out inline with the belt and if not changed with the belt they will fail within a couple of thousand miels (if your lucky!).
While your at it take the time to flush out the engine as well as the radiator. Not diccifult tasks but since you'll have to drain the system to do the pump, you may as well!
I have the fortune of a rattle gun to get the cam pulley undone and this WILL be the hardest thing to do not only becaus its locktighted in place!
There will be some up and downing but if your clever you can do it without hardly moving the engine! This was the second major job i did on my BX (after a clutch!) and it went really well! Be carfull not to rip the belt when getting it down the side of the engine there are a lot fo things to get it snagged on!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Crank pulley is 22mm. Undo it when the engine is hot - this softens the thread lock. I have an 8mm rod, about 1m in length, with the end 6" bent up to about 15°. This slides in easily behind the starter, and allows you to stand next to the driver's side wheel whilst turning the engine over to get the timing pin in the flywheel - makes it dead easy, no need to remove the starter, even on crowded Xantia TD engines. Perhaps I'll make some measurements and take a photo later.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

i actually have a rod with a handle on it that like richards has a 6inch bent over bit at the end, but i have a point on the end of it making it much easier to find the mathcing hole in the fly wheel. The long bit also has a curve in it to mathc the starter motor so i can literrally drop the tool onto the starter motor and it finds the hole in the engine casting without frantic hunting about! Works dead easy and i guess it could easily be made up to order again and again!
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Ive locked a fly with the tool vanny made and i have to say it works a treat (i want one - it makes the sykes one i have look cr4p).
Andy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Easy peasy : Replacing cambelt
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Easy job to do, done it myself, first time ive ever done a cam belt, and the haynes manual was actually good at it.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Also the car mechanics magazine covered it a few months ago