Xantia, no brakes after standing short time.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnT
My Cars:

Xantia, no brakes after standing short time.

Post by JohnT »

I have replaced all the spheres recently, have bled the system. Now I find that if stopped for 5 minutes I press the brake pedal, engine not running, there are no brakes! I gave myself a fright when allowing the car to move forward on a slope without starting engine. Good handbrake though! Also the car still lowers slightly after starting engine after ten seconds. Any ideas please?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

This sounds like there is no pressue in your accumulator sphere after the car has stood for a while. This means either the pressure leaks away (or gets used) or the accumulator sphere is flat. There are lots of things that can leak pressure, the doseur valve is usually the culprit.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Thanks Kowalski, as the accumulator is a new one, (but could be faulty) I will look to the doseur valve, but where is it located please?
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Remember the rule: if trouble starts right after doing something, always assume that something you've done or fitted is the trouble, before dismantling other things looking for the culprit and perhaps inducing further faults!
Best of luck.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Did you by any chance take the pressure relief (bleed) screw out?
How frequently is the regulator ticking?
Jeremy
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Jeremy, no I did not, only opened it half a turn and let it run on max height for couple of minutes then closed it. Anders suggested I do the Citrobics. When I drop it down and then try to raise it to max height, the front end comes up but the rear does not. The pump does not click very often. I then set the lever in the normal position, engine running, and it will rise and then I set to highest position and it will then rise all the way. I can not make it go up and down on one movement. I have checked the height correctors and they seem to be OK. Strange isn't it?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

What age and model Xantia? - ie has it got anti-sink or other devices that seem strange to those of us who haven't progressed beyond BX?
Jeremy
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

1995 with anti sink
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Doesn't some of this post sound familiar?
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=15019
How old are your anti-sink spheres?
Jeremy
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Jeremy, new ant sink and new accumulator. Kowalski has suggested the doseur valve could be at fault? Grasping at straws now, as I do not know about this valve? My head hurts. Doh!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The doseur is another name for the brake valve, a component often wrongly blamed for leaking.
jeremy
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Could it be the problem with the wrong sphere fitted as supplied by E****Parts as posted above? I will post the result when new correct one fitted.