Where else to buy spheres?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ripsaw82
My Cars:

Where else to buy spheres?

Post by ripsaw82 »

Ordered all the spheres for my Activa a few days ago, GSF show them all, but after ordering i was told they no longer stock the front center sphere and the front balancing sphere. I do not want to have to go to a Citroen dealers and get ripped off. Anywhere else i can try?
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Where are you from?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Try <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">http://www.pleiades.uk.com/<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Theres also the other well known competitor of GSF whose name should not be mentioned..eu*******rts.....
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My experience of that competitor is that they aren't as good as GSF. Parts on their website are generally more expensive than GSF, and when you buy stuff from their shop you get charged more than the website prices. On top of that, if there is a cheap part and a more expensive equivilant part e.g. brake discs or pads from a different manufacturer, my local branch will always only have the more expensive part. GSF tend to carry a lot more Citroen specific bits too, e.g. Xantia clutch cable clips.
Now, if GSF had a branch local to me in Newcastle everything would just be fine *hint* *hint* [:)]
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Type in 'westroen'on the web, in Manchester will sell them (or westowen?) and they are helpful.
ripsaw82
My Cars:

Post by ripsaw82 »

Tried buypartsby.co.uk, seem to not have all the activa spheres. Westroen are getting back to me.
I know the antisink sphere has a pipe u have to disconnect first, or u damage it. Any more like this on the Activa to watch for?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

JimW
My Cars:

Post by JimW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">is this any help?
http://www.al-ko.es/pdf/turismo/marcas/citroen.pdf
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Looks like Jeremy <i>actually </i>meant:
http://www.al-ko.es/pdf/turismo/marcas/ ... sferas.pdf
Alternatively http://www.al-ko.es/english/catalo_1.htm might be better, as it gives the range of shocks & spheres, plus a cross-reference chart, etc.
However, I've no clue how you might source an Alko sphere, other than through (e.g.) GSF.
Jim.
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

The genuine Citroen spheres are not such a rip-off if they have multi-layer diaphagms and last 3 times as long.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

IF there is a difference between "original" and "aftermarket" spheres...
How does one realize "original" Cit sphere from the one supplied by aftermarket?
AND...
Who makes those "original" Cit spheres?
I am finding it hard to believe that PSA owns a factory where the spheres are produced. I am inclined to believe they buy them, but from whom?
There are countless manufacturers of hydraulic equipment worldwide, but which of these are (were) delivering to the production lines?
And, knowing the level of standardization of PSA products (none), who can say that sphere mounted by Jean who came to his night shift say, 31st March 1991, came from the same supplier as the one mounted by Francois working a morning shift 1st April 1991?
I surely cannot. I believe this is very, very thin ice.
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

In my experience most car parts are cheap, badly-made pap anyway, OEM or not.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

The place I'd recommend without hesitation is Pleiades, they have a web site, they are just outside Peterborough, and they've been reconditioning all sorts of hydraulic cit bits for at least 20 years, they recharge spheres but only after a fibre optic examination of the diaphragm, they give a 2 year warranty and fast turn around, not the cheapest by any means, but in all the years I've been using them I have had only one duff sphere which they replaced no questions asked. recently had them recharge my gas struts, I got them back by return, they only recharged one strut as one was OK, when most companies would just have charged for 2
Pete
________
Jailbroken
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »