Common O ring question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Common O ring question

Post by rossnunn »

right, I've sorted the top hose for my rad but now the infamous bottom hose. I'm having trouble fitting the O ring. Should it sit inside the edge of the rad or act like a buffer on the outside edge of the connector??
I suspect it the former & that my O ring is slightly to big, so does anyone know a price for these things if I go to the main dealer?
Cheers
R [:o)]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always put the O ring onto the hose lube it with somthing slipery like LHM or silicone grease,then as you enter the hole make sure you lokate hose end slot with lug inside neck of rad push in as far as it will go,then i use a long pry bar one side then the other of the back of the ledge on locking device,gentlty but firmly to engage hose fully then rotate locking rig fully into place regards malcolm
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Ross, best bet is to take the pipe off and fit it to the rad before you put the rad back, that way its easy to see how it works, and what needs doing, the "O" ring is a very tight fit and goes inside the pipe against the shoulder formed when the inside diam is reduced, in situ it should be trapped between the two shoulders thus sealing the joint.
Smother the plastic locking collar in grease and make sure the moving part rotates easily, then line up the slot and the internal lug, and shove it home.. I needed a "Stewart" (oilyspanner) to get mine back into its hole!! [:I] [:D] it's a very very tight fit! Then rotate the collar to lock it all together.. [^]
You have to thread the pipe back down its hole as you put the rad back into position, but its not too bad, a few swear words should do it. [:D]
My pet mechanic tells me the problem with doing them in the car is that they often pop the clip off again after a few days because although it looks and feels right, it wasn't quite located correctly... [:0] [}:)] [:(!]
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Ok, hats a pain as I've just put the 'good fitting' top hose on but I'll have another look.
So do you rekon the o ring is the right size, its too big to sit inside the edge of the rad without having a bulge in it.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

My new one was bigger in actual size of rubber used to make the "O" ring, but was the same size as the old one otherwise, however, I could not get the new one in at all!! so I used the slightly thinner old one, but even then it needed Stewarts (oilyspanner) muscle power to get the pipe back into its hole!!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

they are very tight,you need to use some of that persy whatsit regards malcolm
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

right good news, remove the headlights & front bumper gives you much bnetter access, a little bit of silicone, and a heafty shove & it clipped straight in! lovley job, but only to find it has chopped through the O ring :( so how much are these darn things??
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ohh s**t you need to push each side bit at a time but firm,and they aint a lot of dosh to buy,removing all that is a bit of overkill isnt it regards malcolm
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yeh, I've got the bumper of to spray mor than anything, but with it off does give you soo much more room
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

right, I got a new one from my local pug parts bin for 97p I'll try not to slice this one in half!!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

woohoo, used abit of the old lube ;) and in it went job done. I'm now sure the old o ring was wrong because the new one is much smaller.