Boost Gauge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

Boost Gauge

Post by shezads »

Ok, I am tryig to fit a boost gauge to check boost pressure on my td. Does anyone know what hose / pipe to tap into.
I have a boost gauge, and some plastic tubing. Need to check what pipe to tap into so I can get the correct size t piece.
I remember seeing pictures on a website to do this on a 306 td, but cannot find this. It appeared to be a hose or a pipe, that had been cut, and a tpiece fitted, which then reconnected the cut pipe, and the third branched off to the boost guage.
The only other picture / guide is unclear.
After doing this, I will then get derv doctor, to carry out a phase 1 tune.
Any picures would be brilliant.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Tap the intake hose, after the intercooler/before engine intake.
That ought to do it[;)]
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

The simple place to do this would be the pipe from the underside of the Intercooler at the front to the Injector pump, the pipe should be approx. 12mm dia overall. Cant remember the ID size.
If you search on this site should find many previous answers to the same question and maybe photos.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Just done this on my bro's TD. I can take a snap of the pipe for you but it would'nt be until this weekend.
If my memory serves me right there is a smallish pipe in the middle at the front edge of the intercooler & I think, it goes off to the fuel pump - but im not sure.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

while supposedly not the best place to get 100% perfectly accurate unwavering boost measurements, unless you've spent £100+ on the guage then the boost compensator pipe (from the top mount intercooler to the fuel pump) is the best place for it! If you bought the guage new then you should have a Tpiece in the fitting kit, and you probably wont need to seal or clip the connecting pipes as you'll have a job getting them on in the first place!
Ideally you want a 2bar/30psi boost guage as a 1bar guage is a little too close to the 0.8/0.9 you should be getting!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

what do you know I found a couple, I've left them as they are so here are the links:
http://web.onetel.com/~glynnunn/ebay/pipea.jpg
http://web.onetel.com/~glynnunn/ebay/pipe.jpg
The clear pipe goes off the the gauge
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

The pictures shown in Ross's links are showing a Bosch pump connection, the Lucas/Cav is slighty different.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,
I have just put some pictures showing just this subject...
Look on the "Hints and Tips" section and all will be revealed...
Cheers
shezads

Post by shezads »

Hi, thanks for you replies!
Thats what I like to see, good clear pictures!
Incidentally , what is the best way to fit a boost gauage to ensure accurate reading?
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

*sticks his hand in the air* I cant see the pictures!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

this was quite a old topic, I took the images off when I cleaered my webspace.
Do you need them? I can upload them again if you do
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

No it's ok - thanks all the same. I have never fitted a boost gauge to a car before - bought one yesterday and just wondered what pipe to splice into, but now I have a idea. If I am wrong we will soon find out [:I].
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

are you sure? you don't want to cut the wrong pipe
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Right, connected the gauge up and with the car at idle I revved the engine up - the gauge went up to about 0.5 bar - is this correct? Or will I see a bigger reading when im out on the road i.e going up a long sweeping bend in 4th at 45 MPH then feel the turbo kick in and watch the gauge go up? I havent got a clue on this one!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Mine used to read 13psi under maximum load, replacement of the turbo and a little tweaking of the wastegate has got me up to 15psi, much more liveley[:D]
Stewart