Vent fans not working again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mosser
My Cars:

Vent fans not working again

Post by Mosser »

I remember seeing a thread a while back about a fix for the inside blower fan not working and a fix for it, Mine has decided that it isnt going to work at all now, it hasnt done for 3 days so i need to fix it, i remember there being a relay involved in the fix but cant find the thread again even using the search function
Has anyone got any directions on what to do?, ar can link me to a thread that tells me where the fault might be ?
Cheers
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

if the fan isn't spinning atall then its probably the resistor pack at the top of the inlet for the heater matirx
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Unless it has an 'auto' setting, then it will have a transistor regulator pack mounted on the motor, but check fuses and connections first.
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Peter
Mine has 'Auto' and it has a transistor regulator pack mounted on the motor!!!
Ian
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i thought the fan resistor is mounted in the air way under the scutle,or is that just ZXs regards malcolm
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Its intermittent, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt, it can be cured most times by turning the ignition off and on, but that hasnt worked for the last few days at all now no matter what i do
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like the transistors. you could fit some new ones, requires drilling out the rivets, nut and bolting the new ones and soldering the connections. If you want to do it your self I will tell you what transistors you want and where to get them, alternativly, you could fit a secondhand motor.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it starts working again by turning the ingition on/off, then yes, it's probably the ignition switch. Does the heated rear window stop working at the same time?
The fix involves taking the lower steering column shroud off, finding the appropriate plug (pretty sure it has only 2 wires in it, and the plug is brown), splitting it, and wiring in a relay to take the load off the ignition switch. There should be enough left on the switch if it is still working intermittently to operate the relay - it just can't cope with the current required for the fan. I can do a circuit diagram if you want, but not sure I will find enough info in Haynes to identify the plug - that might need a bit of trial and error on your part!
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Thanks everyone for yor suggestions, I think Richard has found the solution i needed, I will take the shroud off and see what i can come up with, the info you have given should be enough for me to fix it i think, cheers
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Waxee

Post by Waxee »

Mosser, if the problem is as RichardW describes, then I can vouch for the repair. If you need assistance with photos let us know. The rear demister is a dead give-away to this problem. I found the biggest problem was getting the steering column shroud off. Remember you need to know your radio code because you have to disconnect the battery to disconnect the steering wheel airbag. The repair will cost you more in time that money, but mine has worked fine since doing it 7 months ago.
Good Luck
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Thanks everyone, I think it is the relay modification, if you have got some photo's around, that would make it a lot easier for me, i might not have to break the top shroud to remove it then !, my email if you want to email me some pictures is ian(at)mosser.co.uk
thanks
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

The fix involves taking the lower steering column shroud off, finding the appropriate plug (pretty sure it has only 2 wires in it, and the plug is brown),.........not sure I will find enough info in Haynes to identify the plug
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, the brown plug at the lower left.
The thick red wire feeds the fan.
The map in Haynes refers to the brown plug as 'MR' for 'marron', sort of brown colour in French.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Nice one, i think i can find it now!, i'm off out to the car to take the shroud apart
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The steering wheel will need removing.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... rms=escape