Xantia HA2 problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Xantia HA2 problem

Post by bernie »

I believe my Xantia is stuck in hard mode.[xx(][:(]
I have swopped out the rear HA valve/solenoid and HA ecu (abit s/h).
Does anyone know the voltage that the ecu sends to the HA solenoid to operate the HA valve for soft mode?
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Another symptom,
The HA solenoid gets a very short burst of 12 volts every 30 seconds or so then back to 0 (zero)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It's not a DC voltage Bernie. It's a pulsating DC to keep down the heat consumption of the valve coil. At a rather high frequency that is - which makes any measurements with a standard multimeter unreliable.
Have a look in Gabor's Citroen tech Ref.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks Anders, do you know of any way I can keep the solenoid operated ie. soft mode?
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

I think that if one of the solenoids (front or rear) is disconnected, the computor senses that not enough current is being drawn and goes into that mode where it just gives a short burst every 30 seconds or so (presumably to detect if the fault has cleared). Do you hear both the solenoids operate for that brief pulse?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Bernie can you do an ohm's check on the solonoid coil ? (cable removed of course)
I dont have a clue on the power consumption on these valve coils.
If they consume something like a standard relay coil - then there should be some 60-120 ohm in the coil. This is an equivalent of some 0.2-0.1 Amps and then you can use a medium wattage - say 5watt (side/rear light) bulb - as a series resistor.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xantiav6</i>

I think that if one of the solenoids (front or rear) is disconnected, the computor senses that not enough current is being drawn and goes into that mode where it just gives a short burst every 30 seconds or so (presumably to detect if the fault has cleared). Do you hear both the solenoids operate for that brief pulse?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks Mike, yes they are both humming.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Bernie can you do an ohm's check on the solonoid coil ? (cable removed of course)
I dont have a clue on the power consumption on these valve coils.
If they consume something like a standard relay coil - then there should be some 60-120 ohm in the coil. This is an equivalent of some 0.2-0.1 Amps and then you can use a medium wattage - say 5watt (side/rear light) bulb - as a series resistor.
I've asked about the ohms test before Anders and unfortunatly there is a diode across the coil.
The resistance across the coil is 4.2 ohms.
I just want a way of permanantly setting it in soft mode for the time being until I can sort out why it's so hard
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

4.2 ohms does not sound right Bernie [8)]
Is that on both coils ?
What if you reverse the ohm meter leads ?
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

That's one coil.
Same result both ways which would indicate the diode had gone open circuit but apparently not according to the guru's
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=14642
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Bernie, according to the Citroen workshop manual, the supply voltage should be 2.6 volts with a resistance of 4 ohms.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

Bernie, according to the Citroen workshop manual, the supply voltage should be 2.6 volts with a resistance of 4 ohms.
Is that a continuous dc voltage to keep the ha in soft mode?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

When the valve is supplied with current, the valve is in soft mode.
No current = hard mode.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

So if the voltage is 2.6v and resistance is 4ohms the current will be 650mA and the coil will consume 1.69 watts of power. Therefore if you want to test it using a 12v feed you will need a 15 ohm resistor in series with the coil. I think!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The diode won't affect the resistance reading because it takes .6 volt to make it conduct and unless you have an exceedingly old, low resistance ohm meter,, you won't produce .6 v across 4 ohms.