A handy hint - maybe?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

A handy hint - maybe?

Post by adzbaby »

I had to replace the brake discs all round on a 95 1.9TD Xantia at the w/e.
Fronts were nice and easier to do.
Started on the rears and discovered what some may have experienced I am sure, that after putting the new discs on I couldn't get the caliper to mate with the face on the rear arm and line up nicely with the disc! The face that was bolted to the arm had corroded badly and left about a 2mm layer of the alloy attached to the arm (on both rears). I thought bugger, need another caliper (I have a few spare in the shed [;)]) but then looked at the caliper and after close inspection, (the opposite side had a lovely smooth face) I realised that the two halves were identical, as far as my eyes could tell me, and I thought ah ha I'll swap the bleed nipple over with the inlet for the H/pipe and bolt it on.
Well all is well, the brakes work fine (MOT'd this morning Hurrah) so the swap was successful. I hope the halves are identical (if someone knows otherwise please tell me [;)]), if they are its a handy way of getting round a troublesome caliper!
Cheers Adam.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Well spotted!
Yes, I think they're identical - I've done this before on a BX will no ill effects :-)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No worries they are exactly symmetrical externally.
Only difference is internal :
One half has a groove - the other has not - for the rubber seal which seals off the pressure bore from one to another on the mating faces.
But this has nothing to do with the brakes function [;)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The left and right calipers are in fact identical, so they can be swapped side to side.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

could you not just clean the surface so it was flat and put some grease on it to stop it coroding again regards malcolm
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Well you could but I don't think its worth the hassle of re-working the face ( especially after a non uniform 2mm+ layer has fallen off)when you can just swap the nipple with the pipe inlet.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Wish I had thought of that, I just cleaned mine up and copperslipped the pitted surface, seemed to work just fine though, and I'm not going to dismantle them again now. This is one for the tips section.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Remember to reverse the insertion direction of the long small bolt holding the pads - or you will have to remove the caliper again for later pads service. The bolt must go in from outside - and the nut fitted on the inside - of the caliper [8D]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

swaping them around is a good idea as long as pipe nuts and nips are not seazed regards malcolm
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Yeah Anders you have to swap that too, you just have to reverse the removables (as long as they are removable as Malcolm states!)