ZX & 306 Radiators ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

ZX & 306 Radiators ???

Post by sooty »

Are the Radiators for the ZX td and 306 td the same?????
Also is there another radiator that will fit with more capacity (Heavy Duty).
My radiator maybe due to the mileage I do, seems to block up after I replaced it last approx. 18mths ago. Every autumn I flush out and fill with fresh Antifreeze, but they don't last long as it shows up more in Hot weather. Max speed without going over the half-way on the Temp. Gauage before the fans cut in is 65/70mph. When the rad is changed everything is OK.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The radiator shouldn't block on its own - neither of my 2 diesels ever get any sludge in them and I only change the anti-freeze when I loose it or at 3 yearly intervals. So the question is where is it coming from?
have a look at the online shop or catalogue for compatability.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Do you have to top it up at all, if so what water do you use?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I think the rad for the ZX automatic is larger, but you would need to blank off the hot return from the g/box inlet on the bottom right hand side of it if you don't need it..
The ZX have a funny pipe connection clip on the bottom left main outlet pipe, it seems these have a nasty habit of popping off a few days after fitting! [}:)] So take the pipe off and fit it before you put the rad back, you will have to feed it through its hole as you put the rad back in...
As stated by others, rads don't just block themselves up.. So try to find the cause of your blockages.. [8)]
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I dont use any coolant and if any it may be 3/4 months where I put a cup full in. The coolant when I drain it, is always fairly clear.
The Auto rads I think, if like Fords have a built-in oil cooler for the autobox.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I've fitted a TD rad to my 1.4 if that helps?
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

Radiators for ZX and 306's are compatible but only if you know which model of either car you are comparing. The radiator for the TD's is the same. I recently fitted a new Valeo one to my ZX TD, purchased from GSF, and labelled ZX/306.
Regarding the bottom hose, the first time you refit one you think it's impossible to do. Just take your time and remember to turn the locking ring to keep the retaining clips in place. That way the hose will be secure.
Stephen
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I found fitting the TD rad to the 1.4 a doddle, two main problems, one is blanking off the oil cooler pipes, I've done this with two blind bolts & a couple of jubilee clips, the other is the top hose, this can be overcome buy using a universal hosae from halfords.
The twin fans also just plug in with no problems.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Some years ago you could get what was known as "Export parts" which were sometimes a heavy duty version of whatever part you were looking for.
So would a radiator for an Export ZX to such as Australia or South Africa, be different from the ZX supplied to the EU.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Quote Sooty "The Auto rads I think, if like Fords have a built-in oil cooler for the autobox".
Yes they do, but its only two extra pipes, nothing different about the rad itself apart from I think it holds more water. In fact I think on the ZX its only one extra pipe and that's the gearbox hot return, I don't know where the cold feed to the gearbox originates. [:I] [:D] Probably a spur near the water pump..
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sooty</i>

Some years ago you could get what was known as "Export parts" which were sometimes a heavy duty version of whatever part you were looking for.
So would a radiator for an Export ZX to such as Australia or South Africa, be different from the ZX supplied to the EU.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Interesting point sooty, and it's certainly something that I have come across before with many vehicle manufacturers. After all if they don't use "Export parts" on vehicles where it's not so hot then they stand to make more profit.
Although at the time of typing this in this heat, it could be that with more global warming that the U.K. and other parts of Europe will be needing "Export parts."
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

The TD rad I have just fitted has got 2 oil cooler pipes
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Ok, but when I had a ford capri v6 auto some years ago the cooler was at the bottom taking up room from the engine side of capacity. The radiator was no different in size to a std. rad as I found out when the wrong item was supplied. So I dont think the auto-rad would be of any benefit.
Unless you know different????.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

The TD rad element is bigger than a standard 1.4 item for sure, any other im not sure on.
TD rad on the left, 1.4 rad on the right
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Ross, My ZX is a 1.9TD as shown in my profile below