LHM FLUID..big.leak at end cap under reservoir

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

poppy
My Cars:

LHM FLUID..big.leak at end cap under reservoir

Post by poppy »

got the warning lights up today....low lhm and STOP!!
when topping up on high suspension setting with engine running, i noticed a BIG outpouring of lhm from under the reservoir....it was coming from a round end cap on a metal unit [1" diameter approx] points to 10 o'clock from above ..there was a green seal showing...the nut had been screwed in and trapped the seal, cutting it....the resultant fluid loss was massive.
had no tools , so the AA bloke got the call.....he put plastic metal type gunge in the groove where the seal should sit ,and around the head of the nut......d'ya reckon this will be ok long term?? will it contam the lhm??
any ideas welcome norm
ps whats good for cleaning up lhm off the steering rack etc[yeukk]
poppy
My Cars:

Post by poppy »

pps .. will it need some kind of fuid purge/bleed operation since i lost most of my lhm? xxxnorm again
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Personally I would get it fixed properly as soon as you can considering your brakes rely on it.
A solution of washing powder is good for cleaning up most oily type spills.
When you've fixed it up and refilled a bit of citaerobics will bleed the system.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think this sounds like the anti-sink valve. have been several recent accounts of it burssting - maybe worth your while searching and seeing if anything sounds familiar.
jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

This certainly sounds like the anti-sink. Mine suddenly went in a supermarket carpark - unfortunately, 40 miles east of Malaga. Got a replacement fitted, and just as insurance, replaced the rear one when I got home. Don't mess about - change it!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is anti/sink valve the screw cap works its way loos then presure damages the seal,i had a job getting new seal from cit,they try to sell you hole unit,if i remember one of the O RING seals you can buy for the pump pipe joints dose the job,i did stop one leaking by removeing the seal peal off the tiny peice of rubber that was sticking out and put it back together and do screw cap up very tight regards malcolm
poppy
My Cars:

Post by poppy »

checked the AA repair next day....it still seeps a bit. the grey plastic metal has hardened but doesnt seal fully....my worry now is if i can undo the bugger!!......i did 5 or 6 up and downs [citronics !!] to settle it all....it takes 30 secs to go down and 2 mins to go up fully at tickover .......
another ???? do 1999 1.8i 16v sx's have a belt cover at the left of the engine?? my grooved belt is in fresh air.....not good if a stone gets into it??
atb norm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

grooved belt is not cam belt this is just aux drive belt,cam belt is toothed and inside the covers regards malcolm