HDI VTR coupe zx replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dunc55

HDI VTR coupe zx replacement

Post by Dunc55 »

I currently have a 95 ZX TD volcane with 98k on the clock. It's a five door in green with the updates - airbag on the steering wheel. I am thinking about upgrading to a HDI VTR coupe xsara - is this a sensible thing ? Will it be as much fun ? Will it be reliable ? How much should I be paying for 02 one with 30k on the clock ? Will I lose a ton in depreciation or will that have levelled off ?
Also, what would I get for my ZX ? Sold privately - not trade in.
Anyone out there own a VTR HDI coupe ?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Not the HDI but I loved both my Mk1 VTR's. Sporty looking if not always the fastest on the block. I think the VTR HDI comes with all the goodies as standard as well.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

oooo, the coupe HDi - thats the 110hp version [:)] . Never driven a zx td but have my Xsara hdi with psi box and its said to give around 110. Would like to have seen some dudes face in a C2 VTS earlier when I blew him off (careful how you read that [;)]) in second & third gear earlier. It would be interesting to see a 110 HDi with a tuning box fitted, it would fly!
:-)
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The 110 with a power box isn't exactly slow in the C5!
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

The inside of the VTR is very plain and it doesn't have proper sport seats. Also coming from a volcane you will find the suspension very boaty though the breaks are brilliant and you will never live without aircon again. A 5 door sx of the same age will be cheaper and be better specced ie rain sensing, computer, better seats.
Dunc55

Post by Dunc55 »

Do all 110 Hdi coupes have Air con then ?
Boaty !!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO - and the seats in the volcane are God - Everyone comments on how comfy and supportive they are. Sniff, Sniff. If I wanted a boat I would buy a flipping yacht. So I guess the question then is, is there a decent handling kit for them ? Or is the chassis just inherently rubbish ? What about seats, does a VTS have rubbish seats too ?
Sorry to say this - but would a 115 Focus be a better idea ? Or a fabia VRS ? I LOVE my volcane though
Thanks for the responses.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I found that both my VTR's had nice comfy seating and the suspension made it stick to the road like glue (Passive rear steering). Nothing boat like at all. Had a look at the model your on about and it looked to have all the extras / opptions on it icluding A/C.
Dunc55

Post by Dunc55 »

I went and tried one out - had a riot on the way there in my trusty old ZX volcance TD (no increased boost). Took the HDI VTR out and was instantly disappointed. It felt very very letharic. No mid range push in the back, nothing. Yes, I know the power delivery is supposed to be more even across the rev range, but this felt like it was slow off the line and then continued to be rather gutless ! Strange. So I've crossed it off the list. BTW it didn;t feel very boaty but you had to try so hard to get to any worthwhile speed to test if it was boaty or not. Oh, and I got to test drive the car with only me on board - so I can't even blame a chubster next to me. As for the rest of the experience. Well the visibility was sooooo poor. Very thick A pillars, high waist line which hardly makes it a looker and all the visibility to the rear of a ferarri. Of course I can use mirrors, but I prefer to see around me without them.
So it's three cheers for the volcane a real bargain if you find a good one !
craig

Post by craig »

Hi,
I used to have a facelift Volcane 3DR 1.9TD which ran fit as a fiddle. I had it until about a year ago when I got another few cars (non-citroens unfortunately :-S )and finally ended up with a 02 Xsara VTR HDI.
Having owned both for a while now I thought I would share my views of how the two compare for me personally.
The ZX Volcane was a very very underrated car considering they come out in the early 90's, the handling was tight and precise, combined with the lively (and suprising spirited) XUD engine especially with the whisly turbo. It was probably the most entertaining, reliable, spirited, underrated and best outright handling car I've ever owned. I still miss it now.
The way I see it, the VTR plays to a different audience. Inherrently they are similar cars, infact as far as I know they share the same chassis and alot of the same components. The handling resembles the volcane, and while I share the opinion that the ZX has "sharper" handling, the VTR does handle very good, although I've never really had any call to push it to see what it's capable of. The VTR is a more mature ZX, the one I have is sky blue, and it always get good comments from people that have been in it. It's got the air con, it seems alot better built, better on the fuel (does between 50 and 55mpg compared to 42 to 45mpg for the ZX), the styling is up to date (althogh I'm still on the fence about the teardrop eyes), and the power is there right through the rev range from starting just above tick over.
On the same 300 mile journey I sometimes do down to London on the motorway, the VTR is much better, the ride seems to be more refined, with the engine not sounding as "pushed", climate control with aircon on hand, cd player, along with bags of power from the 110 HDI unit.
When driving on holiday recently around the lake district the Volcane would win hands down on the handling, and on first thought the power delivery from the XUD created a great sense of ergencey one the turbo kicked in. One thing that is said frequenty is that the XUD has better power delivery, well, I would say the Volcane was more entertaining, but the VTR's power delivery is solid and it's good to know that it's there when you need it, and gone are the days of neading to change down a gear to get it above around the 2000rpm mark to get the best out of the turbo.
For me, both of them are really good cars but cater to different needs, if you want uncompromising handling with a lively engine in a cheap to buy and maintain package then a (good example!) Volcane would do good service, expecially with those seats!. If you want something that is a bit more refined while having an entertaining drive, while retaining the spirit of the Volcane, or your finding the Volcane getting long in the tooth then the VTR could well be worth a look.
If anyone has any questions comments or questions feel free to ask away.
Craig.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Something that made a significant difference to the responsiveness in my hdi was tightening up the throttle cable a few notches- made a very worthwhile difference, maybe on the hdi you tested it was quite slack?