Would you believe me if ...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Would you believe me if ...

Post by AndersDK »

... I tell you about a cheap genuine Citroen spare part [:p]
Yesterday I went to (one of many here) a local aftermarket dealer and purchased a BX rear hub/bearing assembly.
To my disappointment the low price was caused by missing (very important) parts : the inner hub cup & the hub nut dust cover. A new hub nut was however supplied.
It's the inner hub cup rusting away that causes the hub bearings to fail in the first place. It's a mystery why it's not supplied with the new assembly.
The Peug405 & the BX part number was listed on the box label - yep - as found in the BX parts list.
I did not dare go and ask Citroen parts shop for this hub cup [:(]
- so I tried Peugeot (the same part on a 405). Lo & behold : the part was available at the stunning bargain of £1.10 - incl. vat [8D]
Now - it would be fun trying Citroen - as they live just next door [:p] I decided no matter what - I would buy a Citroen part too. If they ripped me - I could always stick them the Peugeot invoice in their nose [}:)]
[8] price : £0.75 - incl. vat [:D][:D][:D]
BTW : Citroen part no is RP 3726.14 (which is the Peugeot part no too).
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Anders
I was going to suggest that it was because they were discontinuing the supply of BX spares but there are thousands of 405s about so, I dont know.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The cheapest genuine bit I have come across are the 2 XUD injector seals at 15p and 8p each. This from a Pug dealer, I don't know what a Citroen dealer would charge, though: their premesis are a lot posher!
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I purchased the cap for the bleed hole in the thermostat housing from the local (now defunct) Citroen dealer. The price:
Q 0.5 (roughly US$0.06).
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Anders
Its interesting that Peugeot/Citroen haven't amalgamated their parts system in the way that British Leyland did in the early 70's when they created Unipart - which to be fair worked well and meant that you could go to your Jaguar dealer and buy Mini bits. It began to fall apart when Jaguar was privatised and took the spares in hand - no doubt for good reasons and then BMW pulled out and I think its on its own doing something now.
jeremy
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I agree the PSA parts system is a complete mystry having two brands, same items - it just adds cost to us the consumer, not just packing but their Gefco distribution etc. Never understood why there is no Peugeot PR-NET either!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ah -
But if you read carefully what I wrote on the part no - then they are in fact "amalgamated" [:)]
We all know that the old Cit part no's 95.xxx.xxx in many cases are obsolete - but the parts still exists - on a RPxxxx.xx no. This is in fact the Peugeot part no - according to the online system I looked on at the peug spare part dpt. The peugeot parts only have this type/code of part no's.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Old 95 part numbers have mortly been replaced with 96 numbers! The RP means nothing as the 96 numbers are correctly RP 96 XXX! The cross over only works when it is the short number usually in the 4x2 format 'xxxx.xx' as these are cross over numbers. I often use the local Pug parts department as it is in walking distance (Citroen being a good 5+miles either direction), and fortunatley the franchise also owns a Citroen parts desk. On numerous occasions i have gone to pug with the Cit reference and for ALL 95 or 96 part numbers there is no Pug equivalent as pug where using a different system again when the numbers where issued, though in nearly all circumstances we can use the Peugeot Laser system to figure out which part it should be
PR-NET is a webbased front end of the LASER Parts Ordering system. Both Peugeot AND Citroen opperate the LASER Parts system and i believe sinc ethey moved the parts centre that the systems have actually been amalgamated. The reason PR-NET exists for Citroen and not for Pug is i believe down to Citroen's history and the ethos of Andre Citroen. His belief was that if you did everything possible for a customers pleasure in a car then they would be back to buy more, part of this was that Citroen where the first company in the world to have a 'parts' desk to supply original parts to customers and non affiliated garages. It's certainly not a new thing for Citroen and i guess it's just one ideal that has lived on!