xantia td a/c heater blower not working help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi peter
thanks for that i did,nt mention on my last write up that i did try with the brown wire disconnected and it still spins at full speed so it does look like the transistor pack is to blame from what you just said but owing to the fact ive cracked the fan in getting out and putting back the transistor pack looks like im going to need a replacment blower motor anyway but one thats guaranteed to work ok it doesn,t look like you can replace the fan as it looks moulded to the motor shaft and ive located one just need to go and get it.
what do you think or is there any way i can salvage my own.
pete......................
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like a secondhand one would be your best bet. There should be plenty of them about - if you can find a working one! I have managed to get a couple of them for XMs and there getting like hens teeth. If you connect a battery to one and connect the pin with the brown wire to the + connection (red lead) it should run flat out. It sounds from your description to be the same as the XM one.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi thanks pete
im getting that blower motor as soon as i can get over there hav,nt had a lot of time, then i can let you know how i get on i hope all is ok.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi peter
well ive an update on this problem ive been to another scrappy who had a working heater blower motor from another car i did,nt actully see it working becouse the plugs were cut off but he assured me it did anyway he took it out of that car and tried it in mine it did,nt work so he had a later xantia in he was breaking so he pluged it in to that one to show me it worked the original motor worked ok but when he pluged the motor he tried in mine in that car it it did,nt work so he said there might be somthing in my car thats blowing the motors do you think he,s right hope you understand all that
anyway any ideas.
pete...............................
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi agian
there,s also somthing i have,nt metioned here but as as soon as i put the ign on there,s a buzzing sound coming from behiend the dash is that normal and has it got anything to do with my problem
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The buzzing sound is more than likely the small fan operating for the internal temperature sensor behind the alarm led.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

thanks richard
ive heard it said that the little blower could need cleaning out and couse problems with blower motor how do i get to this fan.
pete.................
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

M'mm sounds very strange. The only thing I can suggest is replacing the motor and control panel from the car that you know they work in, there is nothing else in the system. I cant see that anything on the car could damage the motor except possibly having a full 12v on the control lead (brown) this would be switching the transistors hard on (max speed) but I would have thought they could stand that.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi peter
well ive had a chat with a citroen specilist and he said theres a black box under the ign switch that could couse this problem he said he,s seen the problem before and it turned out to be that
what do you think.
pete.....................
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi pete
the scrappy who tried the blower motor on mine said he,s going to try that motor back in the original car on monday if it works in that then ill buy that motor then investigate the problem further but another thing i could try is contact the previous owner and ask him what was happening and why he cut the plugs off in the first place his words when i brought the car was (replace the switch and the aircon will work!?).
pete...................................
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

This is a problem I have never come across before, as far as I know all the control system is in the temp control panel, behind the heater controls, or the motor, I could be wrong of course. Contacting the previous owner sounds like a good idea, he may be able to throw some light on it.