Whats it worth - Activa

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

Andy, if you've got no money is now the time to talk BX 4x4 exhausts?
Ian.
patneenan
My Cars:

Post by patneenan »

Andy
Pat Neenan here , Have you seen my e-mail re. the drive shaft?
If not have you managed to find it as I, m interested in buying it off you.
Cheers
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I can't believe you guys want to wreck what looks to be a very nice Activa ... Just because the sphere *may* be flat and it *might* need an exhaust !!!! Um ... What other car in the world doesn't need the exhaust replaced or spheres regassed ??
I'd love to have that car ... There still work 4-6000 pounds out here !!!
seeya,
Shane L.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

I can't believe you guys want to wreck what looks to be a very nice Activa ... Just because the sphere *may* be flat and it *might* need an exhaust !!!! Um ... What other car in the world doesn't need the exhaust replaced or spheres regassed ??
I'd love to have that car ... There still work 4-6000 pounds out here !!!
seeya,
Shane L.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Couldn't agree more... here in NZ I suspect Citroen prices are similar to Australia, and it almost makes you want to cry when you see how dirt cheap they are in the UK....
The thought of stripping down an Activa for parts just because it might need an exhaust doing or some spheres seems bizare... especially given how cheap spheres are in the UK.
Whats so difficult about the Activa exhaust anyway ? Since when does anyone use factory exhaust pipes as replacements ? Over here anyway, its standard practice on cars for exhaust repair places to custom bend/shape/weld exhaust pipes to suit any given car.
Apart from the manifold pipes up to the combiner junctions, I've never heard of anyone buying factory original exhaust pipes...
Regards,
Simon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Simon - I'm one who is always accused of being sentimental over old cars - but from my local paper (paid for paper - few adverts and generally expensive cars)
Merc 300E 24 valve 93K miles 89/90 year Air con and all the rest MOT Sept - £1400
Peugeot 306 1.4 LX 2000/W reg ABS, good spec, AC, service history 56,000 miles £3000.
Toyota Supra 1993 Air con, alloys etc. 84,000 miles £3950.
The throw away attitude goes with the frequent provision of company cars instead of paying employees properly, something which is dying out due to changes in the taxation system. The other factor here is the dramatic reduction in rust damage which in reality means that many people are keeping the things until something serious breaks which is why our scrapyards are full of good looking cars.
It always distresses me how little these things are worth and I still hang on to my BX TD which when I think about it is probably quite daft - now would I like a 24 valve merc?
My own view is keep the thing till it wears out but the question is when does it wear out? - probably its until I'm fed up with it!
jeremy
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I've found that Activa’s are being run into the ground at the moment, I would rather see this one become the UK's only HDI Activa than let it go as a runabout and then to the scrap yard because all the expensive parts have died through lack of servicing.
The red one we are selling http://activa-all.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ ... roject.htmis worth far more than what we are asking for it and I could break it for parts but as its the only Activa I know of without a single fault any ware in the engine or suspension (a lot of people are using it as a bench mark to make sure there cars are working properly (my self included)) I think its better that some one uses it as is rather than it being broken. however if a buyer that I approve of doesn’t turn up in the next 6 months the car will be broken and I will use its suspension for the HDI and a friend in the tuning industry will have a nice 202bhp Activa engine to sell.
Unfortunately with cars in the UK you can’t kid your self that things are worth more than they are or that every one wants to save Citroens. Also I haven’t managed to sell an Activa yet for over £700 and that would be MOT'ed taxed and with all the parts working and serviced! so £890 is reasonable for a perfect mechanical car.
VLL's mates car is still up for grabs, its slightly to expensive to buy for parts.
Andy
oscis

Post by oscis »

Xantias are now in the same league as BXs were a few years back - cheap.
The biggest problem we're all going to face (in the UK) is finding a Xant, especially an Activa, thats been well maintained and serviced on time. Most people are going to buy a Xant as a stop gap, not service it for 20k odd miles and then sell it on. As a result the market is flooded with neglected unreliable Xants that lower the image of them even further.
Just with the BX 16vs a few years ago you need to search hard and pay over the top for a good example.
It must be hard for forum readers in the Southern hemisphere or mainland Europe to understand the real value of Citroens in the UK!
BTW - did i say that my well maintained Activa is now up for sale [:p]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Its probably a good time to buy a couple for spare parts, they're going to end up being rather like the BX 4x4s, i.e. parts that are very expensive when you can get a hold of them.
Now imagine a BX 4x4 with the Activa system, or a 4x4 Xantia Activa, Andy are you short of a project or two?
oscis

Post by oscis »

Don't encourage him [;)]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

:P yes already thoguht of it and so has vanny :) it is actualy posible with some work and would produce the car with the most grip that the world has ever seen but there are two things that the BX 4x4 and activa laready have in common.... bad fuel econimy and expensive/hard to find spares. put them both together and you may as well drive a supercar...
Andy
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

If the activa system were to go anywhere, then a CX would be the place.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

But i like body roll :-)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

What you do in your own time....
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

If that car was put in to the trade at auction it would struggle to return more than £500 on a good day, in fact they are often treated with disdain. Shame, as they are a technical marvel, but not well thought of by the run of the mill punter.
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

The short answer is f**k all really.
People are still afraid of the hydraulics and electronics. Even half the people on this forum go on about how unreliable they are and this/that etc. If these so called enthusisasts don't wanna keep the cars running, how would you expect the general motoring public to look after them?
In short, there will be many cars that aren't looked after and therefore value will plummet. Cars are only worth what people will pay for them and that in turn is based on how popular the cars are.
I've seen roadworthy cars go for £400 recently, more than once. These cars cost nearly £20k new (more if they had leather and all the gadgets) They still sit on forecourts with tickets for £1995, but they never sell and end up in the auctions or on ebay.
Compare it to a CX for example. A CX is arguably as complex in a less modern way and values on these cars plummeted a few years ago. The cars weren't cheap new, and were pretty much enthusiasts only. So they have a following who will keep the cars going and values are steadily climbing because of this. I see £3k CX's once a month now and they are selling at that price! The problem the Activa has is that it doesn't look like what it does. It looks like a Xantia, the cars you see everyday looking tatty, bouncing around because the spheres have mixed LHM, gas and rubber together and the owners think the whole suspensions up the duff and the car is scrap. The Activa didn't have a huge following from new becuase £20k for a Xantia is almost as funny as looking at a Merc A-Class. So really the only thing the car did was what it actually does best. An SM, a CX, a DS etc, they all look stunning, waft along with so many ideosyncratic noises and features. The Activa looks and drives like a normal car until you corner.
And the reason the situation will never resolve is because so many people don't know the cars and what they are. Ask yourself how many times you've seen a TD VSX on ebay with Activa suspension! I saw a 1.8 Xantia with anti-roll suspension once. And sometimes when Activas pop up, they are regarded as normal Xantias as people get SSCAR and HA2 confused.
This is becuase people are stupid.