Xantia D to TD swap??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

Xantia D to TD swap??

Post by Allanxantia »

How hard would this be? I have just been offered a TD Xantia Mreg, running reasonable cond for free. I also have a 1.9D Xantia Lreg with a knackered head. How hard is it to A. swap the head with turbo, manifolds etc or the whole engine??
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

You would need to swap the whole engine as there are a number of significant internal diferences between the TD and D engine. Saying that, the gearboxes and clutches although interchangeable are diffenent as well. D engines have a pull type clutch with TD being a push type, I assume the TD box and clutch are set up for the greater power of the that engine.
How about just using the free TD one? The engine change is not difficult and should only take 1-2 days with not to many hitches for a couple of people with reasonable idea.
However, your insurance company will probably come down on you like a sledge hammer / or refused quote when you let them know.
hope this helps.
Al
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Citroen fitted some TD engines with 1.9D connecting rods in about 1997, the result was that after a couple of years these TDs started snapping connecting rods and blowing up quite spectacularly. The bottom end of the TD is significantly stronger than the 1.9D, it has a stronger crank, stronger connecting rods and it also has oil jets to spray to underside of the pistons to keep them cool. The TD has a stronger clutch and a different gearbox too, it was originally specified with stiffer anti-roll bars and different spheres, different radiators and of course the extra intercooler, there is quite a bit of work that would need to be done that isn't immediately obvious.
Your insurance company will want an arm and a leg if you're using a car with engine modifications (e.g. a turbo engine when the original wasn't a turbo). All in all, you'll be better off moving to the new car and either scrapping/selling the old one or keeping it for spares.
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

The TD one needs a front bumper and bonnet so I may just combine that will need an MOT tho as it has just been written off.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

repair it you will defo save money that way. if you swap the engine the car becomes a modified car even if the engine is of less power!
Andy
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Depending on how badly damaged it is, you might not be able to straight forwardly swap the bumper accross. The bumper is a massive part of the front of the car, but you'll have to have a look at where it attaches to the inner wings, if the inner wings are bent, you'll have to straigten them up just to get the 'new' bumper to bolt on.
What are the radiator and intercooler on the TD like? If they're smashed to bits the front of car may well need quite a bit of hammering about.
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

it is literally just a cracked bumper, insurance companies, aren't they wonderful
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

What about the bonnet, how bad is that?
The reason I'm asking really, is that I've seen a few Xantias in scrap yards and some of them had a slight amount of bending to where the bumper mounts onto the chassis, just the end plates nothing serious. The front bumper on the Xantia is a massively strong piece of fibre reinforced plastic so cracking it takes a lot of effort.
I know what insurance companies are like, if you get them to do a repair they'll always be looking to return the car to "as new" condition, i.e. you would get new parts and a proper paint job which would cost more than the car is worth.