ZX steering/suspension problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

ZX steering/suspension problem

Post by Dave1 »

For some time I have experienced an irritating knock each time I travel over a bump whilst making a right turn. The knock is definitely on the front nearside. It has been suggested it may be the rubber mounting at the top of the strut, or possible play in swivel hub.(I have had new arm and all bushes fitted plus drop links)The hub joint is also new but there is a little up and down play if you place a lever there, about 2mm. Is that normal? Has anyone any experience of this and what was the cause?
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
For some time I have experienced an irritating knock each time I travel over a bump whilst making a right turn. The knock is definitely on the front nearside. It has been suggested it may be the rubber mounting at the top of the strut, or possible play in swivel hub.(I have had new arm and all bushes fitted plus drop links)The hub joint is also new but there is a little up and down play if you place a lever there, about 2mm. Is that normal? Has anyone any experience of this and what was the cause?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
mazidee
My Cars:

Post by mazidee »

I face simillar problem. Recently I changed my top engine mounting and the problem still exist. I suspect it is strut mounting. Do you managed to overcome the problem ?
>>>

[/quote]
[/quote]
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I face simillar problem. Recently I changed my top engine mounting and the problem still exist. I suspect it is strut mounting. Do you managed to overcome the problem ?
>>>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
[/quote]

[/quote]
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Yes I have solved the problem, it was just the pinch bolt connecting the hub to the strut, they ware. Hope it works for you, let me know.
Dave
>>>

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
mazidee
My Cars:

Post by mazidee »

Thanks. I have solved the problem too but by changing the ball joint located at the lower arm. Not sure whether it is the same things to mentioned. Thanks again.
Yes I have solved the problem, it was just the pinch bolt connecting the hub to the strut, they ware. Hope it works for you, let me know.
Dave
>>>

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Well this is one I thought I had seen the back of! The new bolt was threaded all the way along. The worn bolt had a shank. I suspected it was not as strong from a wear aspect. Seven months or so later it knocked again. Spoke to garage who advised the bolts were changed and changed again.
Therefore, don't fit one without a shank at the top. I have just rplaced it again and could see the wear on the threaded part. Pretty daft of Citroen to do that(or clever).