Slow to start when warm?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

volcane305

Slow to start when warm?

Post by volcane305 »

Hi
Had a disaster earlier this week with 93 aura td the end result being the bonnet flying open at 60 mph causing a lot of damage. Cost to fix much more than the value of the car so a replacement was needed quickly.
This brings me to my question.... I looked at an immaculate 306 Xtdt with 76k miles and a full service history. on inspection the car looked immaculate inside and out and was very nicely finished. The engine bay was clean but had not been washed recently. I noticed an oil leak just below the near side of the intercooler which had sprayed onto the bulkhead. I started the car from cold and thought it took too many turns to fire up. Went for a run and it was great plenty of power and very smooth. After the run the car was even slower to start turning over 6 or 7 times before coming to life. There was no oil/emulsion in the water. Seems to me that there is a problem with the compression, is this right?? could it be something simple. The glow plugs have been changed recently.
all thoughts welcome.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Oil leak on nearside is probably just the intercooler / manifold seal - did it whistle as well?
Poor starting hot and cold is probably air getting in - can be a bugger to find. If it's a dealer car get them to fix it before you buy, if it's private, tell them it's something serious and knock £500 off the asking price....!!
Richard
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

The car didn't whistle at all even when pushed hard. I am worried about the psossibility of major trouble, the oil leak being minor if it wasn't head gasket. The fact that the car was much harder to start when warm worried me most.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

My 19TD Xantia and 19TD ZX will start first touch of the key when stone cold, different matter when they are hot, then its about 2-3 seconds of cranking.
You'd think it ought to be the other way round, worse when cold and easier when hot, but it aint, haven't got to the bottom of that one and probably wont, brothers ZX and sisters Xantia are the same so I just accept it as one of this engine's traits.
These are all Bosch equiped, don't know if its to do with the pump or not, can't see it.
So don't worry much about hot starting, just make sure its there first touch when its cold, if it is then there's not much wrong with it, shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 strokes to get it started from cold.
Dave
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

I looked at the car again and bought. The oil leak was from the intercooler/manifold seal and the slow start turned out to be a bad connection at the starter motor. Ended up paying more for a 306 than an equivalent zx mainly because of insurance costs. Still I don't think the 306 is as good as my volcane td.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i to own a zxtd and a Xantia td and both need quite a few turns when hot to start as have all of the citroens and peugeots i have owened,i would not worry about it dave
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

Hi
I have a 1993 zx td and i was worried about my one starting better when cold then when warm, obviusly nothing major.