Volcane tourer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlWilliams
My Cars:

Volcane tourer

Post by AlWilliams »

I have a problem that I hope may give rise to an interesting solution.
The last few days have been spent by me and the other half in Pembrokeshire, getting involved in nearly every type of outdoor sport we could think off. The upshoot of this is my 3dr ZX could barely cope with all the gear. I am now releuctlanly considering selling up and buying a ZX TD estate instead.[:(]
My query is.......... would it be possible to swap over Volcane front suspension, roll bar and rear beam to an estate, to retain the 'grin factor' [:D][:D] that my ZX 3dr currently gives me?
The only issues I can think of are 1) the Estate has a rear suspension set up for a higher load, and 2) Being able to remove the anti roll bar, due to access - would it be possibe to simply swap the front sub frame? 3) Insurance, they just love modifications don't they[V]
-oh, and yes i am serious!!-
Many thanks in advance
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its a bit like hard work isn't it - why not buy or hire a trailer for the few days a year when you will use it?
Jeremy
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

I was thinking about getting a bigger car (Ive got xsara estate hdi) , requires space for when 2 dogs , 2 kids, wife and myself go on holiday + luggage, getting tight careful packing and I get it all in . Problems is the kids are getting bigger the car getting fulla , Ive looked at 7 seater MPVS , Berlingo, and piccasso , but most only give same space as the xsara estate , and will cost loads more for just miniuim space gained. Its cheaper to do what jeremy says , and or Buy a roof box and bars THis is the way Im going .
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Thank you for the replies.
I've considered the options of a trailer and roof box, the kit i'd be lugging around is work several £K so insurance and security is tricky if it's not in the car, also with the former you are stuck to 60mph making trips to far flung corners of the UK a very slow process, with the latter I'd rather keep as much of the cars economy as possible (for my given crusing speed).
It may be a goer then, can't be more than a day's work hopefully.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Unlike some estates the ZX is substantially bigger than the hatchback, although still not large. My wife has one, it is not as big as her previous BX and would almost fit in the back of my XM. Why not go for a Xantia, the VSX has superb suspension.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Why not just get a Xantia estate? Much nicer than the ZX anyway (in my opinion) and loads of space.. They are not even expensive. If you can afford it then why not spend 2k ish on an HDI estate and then you can enjoy mega fuel economy as well. I have a Xantia hatch and regularly pack it out with all sorts of kit and get comments like "you seriously need a van mate"!! However, I've found the Xantia great for loading kit into even tho its the hatch. It's great to see peoples faces when it pumps the suspension up too!
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

A Xantia is a serious consideration if my inital ideas don't work out, but I would have to say goodbuy to the Volcane handleing and perfomance. Not sure about that yet.
Thanks.