Xantia rear arm bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Profuminif
My Cars:

Xantia rear arm bearings

Post by Profuminif »

Ok, try as i might with the search function i am having imense trouble trying to find where to get a replacement set of bearings for the rear trailing arms from. as i beleve mine have gone, leaking grease reound the main nut, and a nice clunking sound from the rear when going over potholes.
could somone please point me in the right direction please
many thanks
Simon
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

GSF only stock replacement rear arms - not bearings kit. If you want this try www.pleiades.uk.com. I got my rear arm kit from there for my BX - they are very good supplierr - featured recently in Car Meachnaics Magazien Xantia overhaul features
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

euro-c-a-r-parts do them for £33 + VAT.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

GSF do sell rear arm bearing kits (SKF make) as I've bought them in the past. The kit comes complete with all the necessary parts including the all important plastic spacer.
Make sure that whatever kit you buy comes with this spacer as it will get damaged when removing the old bearing.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

N42358 REAR ARM REPAIR KIT BX ALL (EXC BX 4X4) ARM REPAIR KIT 21.00
1 kit pr side.
What you cant find is the word "xantia" instead of "bx" in the online shop listing text above. What you know now : it does not matter as it is exactly the same for both models.
Only the Xantia Estate needs special bearings - which are listed separately in the online shop.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the only thing that dont come with the kit from GSF is shim washer,which will almost certainly be worn nearly to nothing,you can only buy these in an asorted pack from cit/dealer,you will need to fit this as near to the same thicknes as old one as you can get,as this is what governes bearing preload regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Calm down Malcolm [:p]
These shim washers are rarely used. I have seen them on one occasion on a BX. They do not wear down if fitted correctly - i.e. on the outside of the trust cup washer. Either they stick inside the rear subframe - or they fell down - when removing rear arm.
At most the edge of the shim is eaten away by rust - but perfectly re-useable.
The purpose of any shim washer is to make sure the bearings have a correct pre-load when the long bolt & nut are torqued. There is a very large chance it will be correct when replacing the bearings - as the new bearings never seems to bottom out the same in the arm as from new.
What really happens is that the shim adjusts for differences in the lenght of the steel spacer tube versus the bearing depth in the arm.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you do change the bearings, fill the inside of the arm with grease, they wont go again!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

anders i do quite often see these shims worn away nearly to nothing and i always try to replace them with new one as near to the thicknes of the old one as i can regards malcolm
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I've done the trailing arms on several CX's. I'm yet to find a shim ....... Some poeple put a LOT of time and effort into the bearing pre-load. I've never had a problem though. I just re-assemble with new bearings. I'm yet to find slack (not enough load on bearings), or tighness/binding (to much load on bearings). The arm always swings easily and smoothly.
seeya,
Shane L.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

shane i dont spend any time checking the pre/load i just replace the shim,if you dont find a shim it must have been worn away,my local cit dealer say they dont replace it either regards malcolm
Profuminif
My Cars:

Post by Profuminif »

Guys, many thanks, i will source a set of bearings, then have the fun job of getting the old ones out. dont think the original set have done too bad, but i think i know why the went in the end, looking round, as i have recently changed rear spheres because they had gone, so i guess thats what killed the bearings finally
Simon