Xantia Steering Wheel Wobble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mak224751
My Cars:

Xantia Steering Wheel Wobble

Post by mak224751 »

Hi all,
I own a 1993 L Reg 1.9 TD xantia. Just recently I have noticed that there is vibration through the steering wheel. The track rod end needed replacing so did that and got it tracked but it is still there. It starts at about 65mph doesn't make the car wander if you let go of the steering wheel but is just a bit disconcerting as it feels as though the wheels are going to fall off. I have jacked the car up and there is some movement in the drivers side wheel if you hold it at the 3 o clock and 9 o clock position and waggle it The only other thing is that the spheres do need replacing. Can anyone help as it is really starting to annoy me now.
The other thing whilst i had the bonnet up the other day there is what looks like a hole for the car key under the bonnet on the passenger side near to the windscreen does anyone know what this is for I was tempted to put my key in but wasn't sure of the consequences!!!!!
Thanks for any help
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Play in that axis of the wheel is probably due to the track rod end - which side was changed? Vibration could be due to the wheels needing balancing, or a CV joint on its way out (but sort that play first!).
Key switch is to turn the alarm siren off - ignition key fits it. Stops the siren going off when you disconnect the battery. You'll probably find it's turned off anyway, as early Xantia alarms are not exactly reliable or robust!
mak224751
My Cars:

Post by mak224751 »

The drivers side wheel had the track rod end changed. wheels have been balanced. Forgot to mention the rubber bush at the bottom of the wheel under the track rod end (apologies don't know what it is called just looks like a bit of metal going out to the bottom of the wheel)is split don't know if this could be the cause. Problem is somebody started talking about the steering rack being on its way out and i am paranoid that it might be that
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

I had the wheel wobble at the same speed and paid less than £8 to balance both front wheels properly and it totally stopped the vibration. A quick and cheap first elimination.....
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Mak - I think you are referring to the rubber boot for the bottom ball joint. It should be replaced if its split otherwise dirt will get in and cause the ball joint to fail. Not an expensive part but apparently it can be nearly impossible to get out!
So you've replaced the ball joint but think there is still some slack when you rock the wheel. As its only in this axis its unlikely to be wheel bearings which won't show up with the handbrake on anyway.
Could it be another track rod end? Inner rack/track rod joint?, even bottom ball joint. Investigate with jacks, levers, pushing and pulling etc - just like the professionals!
Worth also spinning the wheels and making sure they run true (I know it should show up on balancing but they use the centre hole sometimes not the bolts)
jeremy