xantia td engine ticks over at 1000 rpm update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi and thanks paranoid
ok ive had a look at mine and ive found the 2 solenoids there what i wrongly discribed as an aluminum block i can see the rivits and the wires going into the bottom of the solenoids and one of the pipes to one of them has collapsed i,ll have to replace that pipe don,t think its helping matters. yes thanks id like to see some pics
pete........................
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

OK mate no probs they will be on wednesday AM
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Ok thanks very much Paranoid looking forward to that. by the way how do i get pics on this site. id like you to have a look at my car ive got a digital cam and know how to upload but how does it work on this site
pete.............
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Admin can you please resize photo if necesary, didn't think it was as big....Sorry
Photo as promised.......Image
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

In all honesty it takes me about five go's to put pics on the forum, so I'm not the best to explain but if you do a search theres loads of info!
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi paranoid
Thanks for he pics very clear looks the same as mine it seems like an easy job to replace. how can i be 100% sure thats the prob is there anyway of testing the solenoid. If you look at the air con solenoid in your pic you,ll see a little pipe that looks in an L shape then going into a little connection thats the one that has collapsed on mine ill try to get some pics on here of mine so you can see.
thanks agian Paranoid thats a big help.
Pete
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

To test I take of brackets with solenoids attached, and put 12volts to it off the battery if it clicks its ok if doesn't and the connections are clean its knackered
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When mine died, the coil on it went open circuit. Paranoid's test above is fairly a effective way of testing the valve, but if you're a bit squeamish about applying voltages to things, you can check the coil resistance with a meter. A good coil resistance, i.e. not open or short won't be conclusive that it works.
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

Mine died open circuit too, but only after it had warmed up for a while.
Dave Burns gave me a good description of how it all works in this thread : http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=1769
Dead simple to change.
Alan
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

thanks guys
ill check this out ive got quite a few other probs all with the same car check my recent threds so im quite busy but at least i know were to look now.
thanks very much guys
pete.....................