Xantia steering wander

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harryb.48
My Cars:

Xantia steering wander

Post by harryb.48 »

Just recently noticed that the car tends to wander about slightly ,never only in one direction but I have the feeling that I can`t really let go of the steering wheel.This became noticeable after renewing the rear tyres.

The fronts are two different makes due to having to use the spare a while ago which I then replaced with the best rear tyre after renewing the rears so I`m stuck with 2 different makes until I replace the fronts,which are probably about 50% worn.(Got that?)
Until I fitted the new rear tyres,I had, or didn`t notice, any wander.
My question is ,is this likely to be due to the tyres ,or could it be something more sinister?
I also feel that my steering does not self- centre quite so smoothly as before.
The LHM was renewed recently too.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I've had that on quite a few occasions, more often than not, it has been the first signs of a wheel bearing on its way out
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I suppose you have tried the obvious harryb? like the tyre pressures, and changing the rears to the front to eliminate a tyre problem? Funny how this wander has happened since the tyre change?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Firstly check to be sure the tyre people haven't done what they did to a Daepoo owner I know; rotated his tyres and had directionals on back to front rotation.
Secondly, check the rear arm bearings or front lower control arms aren't getting worn.
Did they do a wheel alignment when the tyres were fitted. I don't know for sure with Xantias, but I know the BX has a toe out setting as opposed to a toe in and if settoe in, this will also cause the wanders.
Alan S
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

10/1 its to do with the tyres.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnT</i>

I suppose you have tried the obvious harryb? like the tyre pressures, and changing the rears to the front to eliminate a tyre problem? Funny how this wander has happened since the tyre change?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I agree. CHECK THE TIRE PRESSURES FIRST! Don't trust your tyre garage to get it right! As I've commented in another thread here, EVERY time I've ever seen a tyre garage put new tyres on a car I own or know about, (at least 3 different cars now, a Daihatsu Charade, a Honda Accord, and a Xantia) or even just rebalance the wheels, I get the car home to find that they have OVER INFLATED the tyres to a dangerous level.
Usually they inflate them to the "maximum pressure" figure written on the side which is usually 10-15 psi higher than the correct pressure.
This is such a common occurance to me that I always make a stop at a service station on the trip home to reset the tyre pressures.
Why they do this I cannot fathom, when the correct pressures are written inside the drivers door sill on most cars.
This happened to Dad's Xantia just a few weeks ago, they pumped all his tyres up to 45 psi, after he had two new tyres on the back, a couple of rims swapped around and a rebalance.
On the trip home he immediately felt something was wrong and brought it around to me to try driving for a second opinion. We both agreed that the steering was heavy and imprecise, lacking in self centering, ride was firm, and the directional stability was poor. (Wandering a bit)
Needless to say resetting the pressures solved that.
Theres a lot of other things that can cause wandering steering but tire pressures should always be the first thing to check.
Also having two different tyre types on the front is asking for trouble, even if you got away with it in the past. Sometimes improving the grip at the back can make any imbalance in the front more obvious.
If the back tyres are new and identical and at least as big as the front ones, why not try swapping the rears and fronts ? Make sure you swap left for left and right for right in case they're directional treads. (While you're at it, double check that if they are directional treads that your tyre garage got them the right way around [:D])
Regards,
Simon
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Thanks for replies everyone!
I can see I have a few things to check(when it stops raining)
The tyre pressures are ok,and I had checked that directionals are all ok too.
Alan,now you remind me that I did have the tracking checked and adjusted (it was minimally out according to fitter)but surely they know what they are doing??!! He looked up a table,presumably giving him the correct adjustment(?)
I haven`t tried swapping tyres round yet but will do that first,and then it would just be a question of renewing tyres.(I have had mixed brands before on other cars ,but not with any problems that I can remember - always just as a temporary measure as I realise that it`s far from ideal)
I do have the feeling that Simon got it right when he said the greater grip at the back has only highlighted an imbalance at the front.Come to think of it ,I think there is a slight rumble from a wheel bearing at front o/s - will jack up and see if I can detect any wear/stickyness from pitted bearing.
I will check the front lower arms (not quite sure how you do it ,or the rear arm bearings either for that matter ?)
The car is actually due an MOT next week ,perhaps they will find the fault,if it`s a fairly obvious one.
Will keep you posted ,thanks again for the tips.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

My Berlingo had started pulling to the N/S at only 13K miles, no kerbing, matching original Michelin tyres. Changed the fronts side to side, job done.
I'd try putting both new tyres (matching) tyres on the front and then see what happens.
Out of interest when the tracking was checked, was it done by way of all 4 wheels on a large machine, or just the front wheels with the fitter looking into sight glass?
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Today I swapped front for rear tyres,so now I have the new tyres on the front.
The wander is reduced but not gone ( very disappointing) and I noticed that I suffer more from understeer ,rather than slight oversteer when the new tyres were on the rear - I somehow expected the opposite.
I`m pretty sure that I have a noisy front o/s wheel bearing,but I`m not sure this would normally cause the wander(??)
It`s difficult to describe the feeling - I have to make minor corrections even while in a straight line,and the wheel won`t self-centre completely. It actually feels better if I steer roughly and wrench at the wheel when turning tight corners,which is not my normal style.
The wheel alignment was done with the 4-wheel rig.
Maybe someone can give me advice on how to check the rear arm bearings/front lower control arms?
Any other suggestions are welcome!
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Usually any wear in any of the parts discussed will be easy to see or feel the movement when wheels jacked up. As for the rear bearings the car would suddenly change direction as it moves from inward to outward ( vice versa)with severe wear so it will in effect give rear wheel steering. I had a BX and found this on my first journey........terrifying!!
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

After another drive and carefully monitoring what was going on with the steering wheel,I noticed the centering works perfectly when I turn left and release the wheel it will return to centre,but not quite when I turn right when it needs that extra correction.
It seems to be pulling ever so slightly to the right then.So I`m starting to think track-rod end problems(?)They can go stiff as well as loose can`t they? But I also have that suspect wheel bearing on the same side , so it looks like I`ll be getting the jack out again(or using the suspension)
Do you think I`m on the right track?:) Any other suggestions?
I`m hoping it`s nothing like you described ,JohnT !