HDi keeps running

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rdj104

HDi keeps running

Post by rdj104 »

I've got a new fault with my Xantia HDi exclusive today.
Engine management light has come on, sometimes from start it goes into limp home mode and won't let me rev over 2200rpm, turn engine off and restart keeps light on but lets me use full rev range.
However, on 3 occasions today after a reasonable length run, when I turn the engine off it keeps going for another 5 seconds or so then stops.
Any ideas and is this likely to be the cause of my light coming on too?
Cheers
Richard
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Probably one of 3 things.
Too much oil in the engine (over full)
Engine managment glitch (get it read by a dealer or someone with the correct software)
Fault with the stop system on the fuel pump (uncommon & possibly implausable as the HDi uses a comon rail HP system)
My money is on number 2 - and its likely to be a sensor fault - but more than that I cant say.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

It sounds electrical / electronical to me. The injection is all completely mechanical, i.e. the injectors are opened and closed electronically much in the same way that the spark is controlled in a petrol engine, there is no stop solenoid.
If the engine is going into limp home mode, it will be detecting a fault condition you'll have to get a fault code read out to know what it is there are a lot of potential faults.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

best to get the faults read but if its running on then id say it was either the fuel pressure sensor in the fuel rail or the fuel pressure regulator on the back of the high pressure pump.if it is one of these things then it will most likely causing limp home mode aswell. both of these parts aint cheap by the way.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Ive had similar problem , Going into limp home mode . It got reprogrammed by Citroen , 5 times didnt solve , I just left it in limp home mode for few days driving ,it cleared has never done it again, I dont now what caused it , but just fixed it on its own.
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

Well as luck would have it, looks like it must have heard Simon's reply, filled it up with fuel yesterday, set off and the light went off and it's all runing fine again. So I'll wait and see if it does it again.
Out of interest do Citroen charge for reading the fault codes, if so how much usually?
Thanks for the advice anyway, as there semm to be no cheap easy solutions I'll wait and see what happens.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Unless your car is under warranty then they more than likely will charge, the cost could be anything up to £50.
You should also be able to get it read at a local garage as most now have the necessary equipment.