ZX alter wiper park pos..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

ZX alter wiper park pos..

Post by James.UK »

I am considering changing the parking position of my wiper blade from its left park position to a right side parking position. At the moment it causes water to constantly run up my side of the screen when in its slow/pause mode..
But. In order to gain access to the wiper motor I need to remove the cover strip at the foot of my windscreen, I know its a sealed laminated screen and can be real a problem if it leaks. Is removing it likely to cause me problems with leaks when I re assemble things?
Information would be most welcome.. Thanks..
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

James - I had to take mine off on the ZX - I used some Captain Tollys Flexible Crack Filler (loved by boaters & caravaners alike) No leaks after reassembly.
Watch your fingers as its highly sprung (the wiper motor).
HFStuart
My Cars:

Post by HFStuart »

I've done this little mod too. Do it on a warm day when the plastic's nice & flexible and you should have no problems.
It's makes a great improvement especially when the wipers are on intermittant.
Stuart
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

That's what I hope to achieve Ross, but think I will pass on having a little drunk dog on my dash.. [8)] [:o)] [:)]
Cheers Marty I will try to get some, erm which bit of the motors likely to bite me? I thought I could make the change on the remote part of the control, and not have to touch the actual motor itself?
HFS thats a good plan, now all I need is a nice sunny day? but may settle for a hot hair dryer [;)]
Do I need to remove the bonnet for access?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

BTW I didn't use any glue/filler/anything else when I did mine. Just removed the wiper arm, removed the plastic trim & reset the motor arm, I didn't even remove the motor, then just reassembled everything. No leaks, no problems.
The laugh is in France/Spain the wiper parks on our drivers side!?!
Squashed dog has a nice smelly arse!! lol
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you dont need any glue crap or sealants of any kind as the plastic scutle fits under rubber finnishing strip nothing to do with sealing the screen,as the screen is bonded strait to body frame and the rubber is just a finnisher just fills the gap on the out side of screen, this is a bit like people sticking shut elec sun roofs to stop them leaking when they dont have a seal as such just a draft felt,it is intended for water to pass the felt and then exit via drain tubes that get blocked,you then get water running to car regards malcolm
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Sorry having a div moment here - in work since 5 - what do you need to do the motor arm - or will it become apparent when i remove the plastic cover ?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

at the bottom of the arm there is a nut, you need to remove this
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Conversion done now. [:D] wiper parks on the right.
One problem I did find -- on removing the cover, the arm from motor to wiper spindle was horizontal with the short arm fully extened to its left. So I removed the lil nut and prised the arm off its shaft. then used a screwdriver to turn the wiper spindle 180 degrees.. But. the long shaft was now in the way of me replacing the lil nut back onto the short shafts spindle? dohh..[:I] sooo I moved the long shaft downwards just enought for me to get the nut back on using a small socket spanner (this is probably the right position or all ZX's) and then put the wiper arm back on (end taped up to protect the screen) and tried it, it was nicely parking at its rh limit, but much too far down. [8)]
I then put it all back together, closed the bonnet, and messed with the wiper arm on its spline untill I got it parking in the right place, replaced the wiper blade and it now works a treat..
Note.. if you test with the wiper blade on its arm on a dry screen it wont overun as it does on a wet screen in normal use, so it's better to test just using the arm with its end covered with tape...
Thank you all, for all your help. [:D] [:)] [^]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It is in fact a bit strange [8]
My BX'es (LHD) have the wiper parked at Right - just like the mod you just did James.
I never really thought about the wiped water wandering up windscreen after a slow wipe - as we rarely have this kind of soft rain for long. It's either dry or pouring down here.
On the BX you simply reach in and slack off the motor axle nut - then reposition the wiper - retighten nut and job done.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Anders, [:)] I found it quite a problem here as we can get light rain or drizzle that lasts for hours on end in the UK. And after every swipe [;)] the wiper goes away and the water then runs up across your screen untill the next swipe, it can really cause bad visability for the driver at times..
Your BX system sounds like a good idea, had I known what a time consuming job it would turn out to be on my ZX, I would have cut a hole in the plastic "leaf protection cover" to do the job, and repaired the cover afterwards.. [;)] [:D]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

why tape tread as all you need to do as you remove the arm(if it is necessary to remove arm)is just lift arm fully up undo nut wigle it then lift away,leaving the hindge at right angle whilst you refit,then there is no need to force it back onto spindle,also as anders said if you can gain acsses to motor spindle nut there is no need to remove short arm from this point,just slacken nut prize arm loose,adjust to new position retihgten nut,now check for over run readjust recheck sorted regards malcolm
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Cit, I didn't tape any tread (?) I think you missunderstood me, I taped the end of the wiper arm so it wouldn't scratch the screen while I tried it out in varius positions after moving the sweep of the wiper working area, I actually overdid it the first time and the arm went right off the screen! [:I]..
And on the ZX you have to remove the wiper in order to remove the plastic leaf protection cover, access is impossible without taking that cover off, you can't even see the nut..
Anders was telling us how easily this can be done on the BX, not on a ZX.. [:D] As he said, it's strange that they reverse them on LHD cars though? [8)] [:o)] [:D]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

silly me,even still all you need to do in that case is pour water onto screen whilest trying it out regards malcolm