abs light flicker and sensors test update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

abs light flicker and sensors test update

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys
the abs light in my xant is continually on it flickers when i first put it on then stays on anyway tonight ive tested the abs sensors with my multimeter and this is the result
right front 1112
left front 1121
right rear 0
left rear 1106
anyway its obvious that o/s/r is the problem but are the other readings ok what you think guys any help would be apprecated
pete..............................
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

They are very close so thats a sign that the other sensors are OK. Normally these things fail completely as has the right rear one. If its like the bX one yo'll enjoy replacing it!
Jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as jeremy said they usuly fail complely,because the wire breaks down in side outer sleave,i have known them to be repaired,find the break and re/join it use some shrink rap as well,you will normaly find the break where the cable goes over rear arm because thats the point at which its being flext,just replace the one which is open circuit dont make work regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have repaired 3 sensors on my BX - the problem was that the screen had corroded through. What i did was to cut the cable on an exposed section and see if there was a circuit between the screen and the centre core. I kept on doing it until I got a circuit - working towards the sensor. Having found the problem I then very carefully soldered a section of multicore co-ax cable in place and carefully insulated it and soldered the plug to the other end (using a stub of wire as I couldn't remove it.
I did the 2 back ones on my BX in situ over 3 years ago and one is still working, the sensor itself failed on the other a couple of years ago. I also did a front one which lasted about 18 months till it went again but the subsequent repair has lasted about 3 years I suppose. The problem here was flexing and the lates repair is more carefully routed.
jeremy
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

thanks guys
So i might be able to repair it thats interesting having never worked on an abs system on an xant ive done rear sensors on a rover 620
so i know what it,s all about so you think it could be just the cable to the sensor looks like ill have to get working with my multimeter to find the prob but if it is the rear sensor itself are they easy or to do
pete.....................
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

In theory yes - take off the backplate, undo a bolt and pull it out, fit new and re-assemble - well that's BX anyway.
On the BX the fun is the backplate bolts shear, the thing itself won't come out easily and the new one is as difficult to get in the hole even after cleaning all rust, and then you've got to get the cable around the suspension and under the back seat!
Thats why I found I could re-wire in situ! Only had to contend with the wire going under the back seat!
Jeremy
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi guys and thanks Jeremy [:)]
Well having a look tonight the back plate came off fairly easy then got to the sensor itself the single bolt did,nt cause a problem either so now its all lose,nd off now, just remains for me to get a replacment does anyone know where the sensor plug is i could,nt see it the lead goes up into the body somewhere there,s no lead under the rear seat on an xantia, so where does it go. Also does anyone know if there are different types of sensor fitted to the xant? i heard that there was about 25 different types is that true. If thats the case im going to have to remove the sensor and try to get another one that way by matching it up. By the way i think ill do it that way rather than try to repair it and have more problems again in the future (it might go wrong in the winter and i don,t fancy laying under the car in the snow[:(])
regards
pete............................................
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I think there are 4 different types of sensor on the Xantia, 2 different front types and 2 different rear types, i.e. 2 complete sets. When I did an ABS sensor I paid £65 iirc at the Citroen dealer so they are probably worth repairing if you can do a proper job of it.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi Kowalski
So is it the lead that allways goes on these sensors, i suppose i could always remove the sensor and check it out before i try to get another one but ill have to bring the sensor indoors and try to repair it if the lead needs soldering (no electric in the road unless i plug the soldering iron into the streetlight[:o)]!) i have no garage you see. but i think if it just the lead then maybe i could have a go but if its not then ill just have to get a replacement.
pete............................
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You could buy an inverter and still have loads of change from the cost of a sensor.
jeremy
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi Jeremy
i don,t want to sound thick here but whats an inverter.
pete......................
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

The plug for the rear sensors are above the trailing arms, clipped onto the chassis ( as such). When you get it disconnected to pull it through make sure to tie a bit of string onto it, makes getting the new one back through a lot easier as there is not a lot of room to get your hand up to feed through the area for the rubber grommet. AFIK the sensor for yours will be the full plstic bodied one, the earlier Xantia had the metal body which was next to impossible to get out without breaking. Give the hole where the sensor pushes back into a real good cleaning before putting it back, a small wire brush on a drill etc will make it so much easier.
Brian
97 Xantia TD
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Inverters can transform 12volt to mains voltage
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... 16&doy=1m7
one there for £20 - 150 watt - should be good enough for soldering (100W is quite a big iron)
The other alternative is one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... 85&doy=1m7
have fun
jeremy
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Thanks Brian and Jeremy
Yes it does look like youre right brian i had a look at the sensor last night and it did indeed look like it was black plastic, i,ll have a look for the plug where you said thanks for the info. jeremy i did,nt know about those things but they sound as if they could be very handy especilly the power inverter, there,s lots of use,s for that bit of kit. I could use a full power lead light from that very handy, great when working under the car. Maplins is not very far from me ill have to go and have a look at them. thanks for the info Jeremy
pete................................
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

2 things to watch with inverters:
1. Is it up to the job - ie are you running it withing its specification. Things like power tools that are only used for a short while won't cause problems but a TV or fridge might as might a high powered light.
2. Will you be able to start the car again.
Imagine - petrol car - 45 amp hour battery.
You want to use a 200 watt floodlight.
Current used - about 17 amps - will you start the car after 2 hours?
The recommended size for a Citroen Diesel battery (ZX 1.9D) is about 55 amp hours - and the petrol ones are probably smaller.
Jeremy