Xantia sunroof

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pauldewar
My Cars:

Xantia sunroof

Post by pauldewar »

Hi all.........
I have searched the forum and got some good info on sunroofs, but none seem to answer to problem I have.
One occasions when attempting to tilt open the sunroof having just started the car, I get a burring noise which seems to eminate from the microswitch. On reving the engine and therefore putting more power into the electrical system, the sunroof opens as requested...so if the mircoswitch is working?...(this is the second one I have had) any idea what the problem may be?.
I have been told by the Citroen dealer that the cables are probably rusted and the additional power overcomes the initial resistance met by the motor. I do like to fully open the sunroof at times (nice now isn't it) but am reluntant to do so in case the cables snag or fail. I am told that to get access to these requires the roof lining to be removed at great expense to me!...
Any comments greatfully received.......
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Oil every bit of the mechanism you can see (and everything you can't see too) and see if it improves.
I oiled the whole lot on my '94 and it sped it up and quietened it down a bit, mine had a nasty squeak rather than being sticky.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I use silicone spray to lubricate my cables on my sunroof and also on the seals too. Works a treat.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

a helping hand to assist the roof to go up is some times needed on most cars due to heat making them expand and stick, silicon spray is good but dont forget the seal round the sunroof it should be serviced also that's why they stick.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

The seals around the sunroof are also prone to rusting. This can also cause sticking.
Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the seal around electric sun roofs is not a seal but a draft felt as it is ment to let water past which is ment to go out through the 4 drain tubes when they are not blocked regards malcolm
pauldewar
My Cars:

Post by pauldewar »

Thanks for the advice..........how do I service the rubber seals or felt around the glass panel?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've never looked that closely but I think the 'seal' round the edge of the glass panel is a standard item and is probably available from your friendly local rubber supplier who can be found in yellow pages.
Loads of profiles can be found - and I have seen at least one catalogue on the net. I would expect the one round the glass to have steel in it to grip the glass. (a sort of zig-zag folded thin strip - bit like paper staples - now how's that for a bad description)
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what is wrong with it
pauldewar
My Cars:

Post by pauldewar »

I have had another look at the sunroof....I don't think it is sticking as you can apply pressure to the glass panel in the closed position and it will move a few millimeters easily...it just wont open without some power and the microswitch makes a clicking sound...
The rubber seal surrounding the glass panel is becoming crusted and discoloured...........can this be revitalised??
Paul
Juliso35
My Cars:

Re: Xantia sunroof

Post by Juliso35 »

Hi

In these days I'm having exactly the same issue of Pauldewar in 2005!!.
pauldewar wrote:Hi all.........
One occasions when attempting to tilt open the sunroof having just started the car, I get a burring noise which seems to eminate from the microswitch. On reving the engine and therefore putting more power into the electrical system, the sunroof opens as requested..
I've checked, oiled and of course previously cleaned everything. I've cleaned every switch, plug and relay with contact cleaner but the problem persist!!. The problem always appear when I try to operate it from parking position. Sometimes it goes sometimes not. Anybody has an electrical diagram for the sunroof??. The motor gears are ok and there's not teeth missing on them!!. When I push the button the relay makes a noise of false contact with a tiny spark but i think the problem is somewhere else because I've already test with another 2 relays in better conditions than mine.

Inside the relay in that white part is where is see the tiny spark when the fail shows up!!

A shot of the motor's inside: What else do i have to lubricate? What about the brushes??

Thank you for your help!! :)
:D Image :D
Juliso35
My Cars:

Re: Xantia sunroof

Post by Juliso35 »

Hi guys!!

I know it's an old post and may seem boring turn back on what has been spoken!!.. but is really important for me.!! :-D :-D :-D Is there any electrical diagram you could share?? I read other posts with links to images and diagrams but they are already broken!! :( :?

Thank You!!
:D Image :D