Brakes, normal Servo type.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stinkwheel

Brakes, normal Servo type.

Post by Stinkwheel »

Not hydraulic cit but a normal servo assisted set-up.(we will call it a ZX for arguments sake, its not but.....)
For some reason the caliper stuck on today and the disc pads etc got VERY hot.
I removed the caliper (a 2 piston sliding pin affair) and the piston would not push back in, so i cheated and removed the caliper and pushed them back in no problem by hand whislt there was no fluid pressure.
Cleaned all up and re-assembled, strange thing is though it will not bleed. Very very little pedal travel and even less coming out the bleed nipple. (im using a one man bleeder with the one way valve so can see if anything is coming into clear tube)
Any ideas?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like the master cylinder return travel is restricted so that the recuperator ports are not being uncovered.
When the piston is at rest the seals should be just behind the ports (one for each circuit) communicating with the fluid reservoir. This allows the system to top up and any residual pressure to dissapate when the system is not in use. Press the pedal - and the first thing that happens is these ports are covered then passed by the seal which can then pump.
jeremy
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Found the problem,
Flexi hose to r/h front caliper is colapsed internally, no fluid thriugh and lvely hydraulic lock in the caliper when it got hot. Hence seized brake, hence seized caliper.
Waiting for parts place to ring and tell me new one has arrived (about an hour apparantly)
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

good to hear it and its also a worthy note to other having a similar problem.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Job done,
New hose, quick bleed through, all works. Happy.
As Richard says, maybe help someone else sometime :-)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Interesting! Sounds like typical compression damage on a composite hose. Do you think someone has been over enthusiastic in compressing the hose with some form of locking wrench to stop leakage while working on the brake?
We use a largeish diameter airline at work in our trailer loading bay and regularily this suffers from this sort of damage (separation and splitting of the inner layer) due to being driven over or some idiot leaving it under a trailer leg when unhitching.
Jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

This is quite common now, although it never used to be.
I think its something to do with the brake hose material / fluid used now. I have suffered it twice, and both times it was on a Pug......what car was it, anyway, not a 205 by any chance??
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

job done well done.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

It was the wifes Ni***n MPV.
Its had a new steering rack at MOT time couple of months back and some welding to the strut top inners. Was going to do it all myself (wish i had, would have done a better job than the garage) but time was short so pointed and paid. I imagine the garage did clamp it off, would explain the damage/problem within the hose. I've had motorcycle lines collapse or go spongy never on a car though, only ever had cracking etc on car hoses.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

One of the things I like about the Xantia is that there is no flexible hose for the rear brakes, that's quality engineering.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

>there is no flexible hose for the rear brakes, that's quality engineering.
When you've had to change them, come back and see if you still think that :-))
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

And having done that evil job on my BX, I would second that!!!
God knows why they put those silly curly pipes on when a few inches of flex-hose would have done the same job!!!!
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

Mpv it must have been a bugger not bad cars for shoping though and for school runs like a 4x4 thingy.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Hi Richard,
The front brakes are not too bad. Did a water pump on it a while back, thats a nightmare. Being midengined you have to raise and support car, climb inside it and work around blind corners. The waterpump is not cambelt driven so should be easy enough, but you have to remove the cambelt and tensioners to take the pump off, how silly is that?
All in all i preferred the CX familiale we had previously, thats a proper car, that doubles as an MPV by being big enough for many people, plenty of luggage/furniture etc or in a tight spot could make quite a good bed in the back (although safari;s are better for this)
The nissan does a job though, is basically reliable and big enough to tow 2CV/Dyanes behind on A-frames or trailers and motorbikes fit inside it with the seats out the way. And more importantly she seems to like it so i get to spend my time playing with old citroens :-)