Xantia calipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Joe Pineapples
My Cars:

Xantia calipers

Post by Joe Pineapples »

Hi guys, I'm about to change the front calipers on my '97 Xantia, and I was wondering if there were any differences in the procedure from that of any other car, specifically regarding bleeding them once fitted? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I take it you know the pistons have to be wound back into the calipers. Use a length of 8mm square bar.
Joe Pineapples
My Cars:

Post by Joe Pineapples »

Yeah, got that.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what was wrong with old ones regards malcolm
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Bleeding hydraulic Cit brakes is easy, none of that "up, down , hold it up, down, up down .......oh S**** out of brake fluid " [:D] [:D] stuff, start engine place bleed tube on bleed nipple, slacken nipple one turn or so, GENTLY on the brake pedal, once you have nice green fluid coming through tighten nipple remove bleed tube stand hard on brakes to check for leaks, top up LHM, dispose of stuff you bled off. The only thing with the Xantia's calipers is that the nipple is none to accessible, but at least they don't seem to corrode quite as badly as BX ones
Pete
________
ULTIMATE FIGHTERS
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Pineapples
My Cars:

Post by Joe Pineapples »

Hi Malcolm,
One of the calipers had siezed and needed replaced, so I took the oportunity and ordered new calipers, discs and pads. Should make it sound for another 100,000m at least.
Hi Pete,
I foolishly looked in the haynes manual to guide me in bleeding the brakes, but they'd have you bouncing the car up and down like a pogo-stick!
Joe Pineapples
My Cars:

Post by Joe Pineapples »

Calipers all changed, 45 minute job. Very easy, as was bleeding them, but I see what you meant about getting acess to the bleed nipple Pete.
Cheers all.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

rear ones are not to easy to get to easyer with wheel off,fronts just turn steering full lock,but then again as your replaceing front callipers you will have the wheels off any way,also you will get better flow of fluid from rears with susp on high regards malcolm