Who was the previous owner of a second-hand car?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

czenda
My Cars:

Who was the previous owner of a second-hand car?

Post by czenda »

This is not relating to Cits directly, but I hope you will forgive me, because the topic is very interesting - at least for me.
I just finished a humorous paperback novel which says that "if you come to a 2nd hand car dealer in UK, you will find out that the previous owner of any of the car offered was a vicar who used the car for commuting to his church on Sundays, while the church was 10 miles from where he lived. The truth is that any such car develops a serious failure within two weeks from its purchase. Obviously, the only right thing to do is to perform an exorcism ordered from competing Catholic church, which is extremely beneficial to the ball bearings."
The quotation seems to be an interesting example of a local, non-globalized culture. While it is a vicar who had the car in GB, here it is almost ALWAYS "an elderly gentleman who used the car to drive him to his weekend-house" or "a lady in her late forties who used the car for transporting her friend for their purchases". Any deformed bumper is the result of "looking the other way while driving the car into garage at the 0,000001 km/h speed," i.e. accidents never happen in the parallel universe of the 2nd hand car dealers.
Are there any other fairy-tale creatures or paranormal activities like those mentioned mentioned before of which I do not know?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

If the car has intergalactic mileage irrespective of age then it is always 'motorway mileage so the clutch and brakes will be fine'!
R
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

I was looking in the Auto T****r a few weeks ago for a small car for my little sister, when I spotted a cheap 99 Saxo: "26,000 genuine miles FSH, one careful lady owner, <b>new engine and gearbox</b>". [:0][:0]
Now I'm not usually one for making sweeping generalisations (and I'm sure there are any number of reasons it had a new engine and clutch), but a careful lady owner is probably the last person I'd buy a car from... [8D]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If it was my wifes it would have read "one lady owner.....with absolutely no mechanical sympathy"..... the saucepans get treated better!!
I suspect many of these 'lady owners' are like her, the warning lights on the dash are a nice colour and do brighten it up a bit, thats if she can see them through the clutter of sunglasses, ornaments, sweeties, air fresheners, etc..........I hope she doesn't see this![B)]
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Car dealers use plenty of ellipsis in their claims i.e. "one careful lady owner" should always be followed by the phrase "and fifteen who didn't give a monkey's" [:)]
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

standard patter in the trade that is mate, the best one I have seen is ( low mileage "showing" on the clock ) so does that mean he has a laptop and sets it to what you want hahaha I can do that as long as you don't say "guaranteed low mileage" its legal.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You'll not need reminding of the story - Punter to dealer, "What mileage has it done?" Dealer to punter, "What mileage would you like?"