C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

C5

Post by mezuk04 »

Well went to Bawtry Motor Auctions last night to find a new car for Wilkobob (holes in the park hey! Wilko), and i saw a nice 51 plate C5....went for £2500....pristine inside (it was unlocked so sod it i sat inside) but there were quite a few niggles on the outside...but anyway more to the point....I soooooo want a C5 now even more so now since ive finally sat in one.....going to book some test drives [:D] although wont be buying....but my next car, is a C5...well hopefully
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Christopher
When the C5 came out I always swore I didn't like the exterior styling, and I wouldn't have one on the drive! When I came to replace the Xantia, I looked at everything from Skoda to Jaguar, and for what I had to spend, nothing but nothing came close to the C5 for luxury, gizmos etc.
In the end I decided you spend your time inside the car looking out, not outside looking in, so I took the plunge and bought my first ever brand new car. 15 months later and the magic is still there. Taking it down to near Perpignan in a couple of weeks - can't wait!
Lovely car!
Jamie
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Has the same feeling happened to anyone else? Sit in a C5 and know that one day you will have one?
I think it is something about the slightly higher seating position and the imposing dashboard that makes it special. The large seats help too.
Everytime I get into my C5 I still feel the magic, very true, nothing comes close to it for the balance of power, luxury and economy. The Jag XJ diesel looks good, but I wouldn't mind betting the C6 HDI is better!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well just rang insurers just for an idea of how much more it would be...well for an additional £210 for the year on top of the £550 i pay now for my 'signature car' i think thats well worth it...although im only on 'Third Party Only' to be fully Comp its about £1000 altogether which i would probably have to have.
I priced up at 51 plate, 2.0hdi Exclusive, the one i saw in the auctions, wonder if the paint colour makes a difference...well now i know i can afford one...just have to think about finding a cheap decent one...
Any bits of advice you could give me for when i get closer to my dream.....the zx has given me a year of pretty much trouble free, little cost driving and ive done 30,000 miles in a year so im well chuffed with the zx.
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

I keep seeing V6 exclusive C5's on ebay going for peanuts. Very tempting but the thought of having major work done on a car like that out of warrentee would give me nightmares!!
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I priced up at 51 plate, 2.0hdi Exclusive, the one i saw in the auctions, wonder if the paint colour makes a difference...well now i know i can afford one...just have to think about finding a cheap decent one...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Unless you need the extra bits of the exclusive, get the SX model instead. You get nearly as many extras. The main bits extra the exlusive gets (depending on model age) xenon lights, lights in the doors, cruise control (can be retro-fitted to most HDI), different upholstry, cd changer. Unless they are the same price, get the more plentiful SX.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well i priced up the SX thinking that it would be slightly cheaper....but for someone reason its slightly more expensive....but then if im paying all that money....may aswell get everything [:D]
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

So had a test drive of a brand new C5 VTR and oh my god its absoultly amazing....beautiful even.....im after a test drive of an old one now to compare as im after the old style
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

We have a saying here:
"Those who disdain, want to buy it" - something like that...
You have heard (read) me saying some bad things about the C5 from time to time, but it's a great great car, comparing with all the others ou there (but a bit far away from old cits - oops, here i go again[:P]). I think i'm in love with my estate[:)]
Still don't like the MKII's radio/AC panel.
Cheers!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well on the way home after work im off to see a 2001 plate just off the A1 Doncaster so will be interesting to compare, however its only an LX model but this drive is just to see how it feels after lots of miles have been added....just to let you's know i aint buying it....[;)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bencowell</i>
Unless you need the extra bits of the exclusive, get the SX model instead. You get nearly as many extras. The main bits extra the exlusive gets (depending on model age) xenon lights, lights in the doors, cruise control (can be retro-fitted to most HDI), different upholstry, cd changer. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I want blinding Xenon headlights like everybody else has. Finally I'll be able to see in the dark when I've got badly adjusted Xenons shining in my eyes! I like the idea of automatic headlights and wipers but the SX comes with those anyway.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

The only problem with the higher end trims is more things to go wrong with....all these electric additions will eventually fail...
Can anyone tell me the level of trims which are current in the old style and the new style for the hdi's
Old - LX, Exclusive, SX
New - LX, VTR, Exclusive
Have i missed any or in the wrong order
regards
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

I'd agree that more complexity is more things to go wrong, but the XM has plenty of electronic gadgets and they are for the most part reliable. It does tend to be things like wiring chafing, dodgy earth or poor connectors that kill the gadgetry so they're pretty easy to fix if you can find the break in the circuit.
I'm sure that the VTR was available before the facelift, and at the same time as the SX, I could be wrong though.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Does no-one think that this big car may just be a bit odd for a 20 year old to drive...ive been advised to get a saxo (NEVER)
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

It's not the usual car for young people, because young people can't generally afford to insure or fuel a large car. Drive whatever you feel comfortable with, you'll be far more comfortable in the C5 than a Saxo.