TUNING BOX on HDi engines

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rostami
My Cars:

TUNING BOX on HDi engines

Post by Rostami »

Hi to all,
Has anyone ever fitted any magic black boxes?
I just need to know which signals the box intercepts...MAF?
Thanks,
Rostami.
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Hi Rostami, I've got one for sale, if you're looking for one. A Van Aaken box (www.vanaaken.co.uk) 20 bhp more for all hdi engines. E200.00.
Chris
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Thanks for your post.
For now my main interest is to understand how the box works. Does it intercept MAF or is it just a matter of the pressure in the common rail?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Different boxes work by different ways. Mine has 4 sets of connectors so you fasten the box between the injector wiring and it changes the signals.
Others work by changing the common rail pressure or similar.
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

sorry the address should have been www.vanaaken.com not .co.uk this link describes how their smart box works http://www.vanaaken.com/europe/index.as ... e=smartbox
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

ive got 2 diferent types one changes the maf sensor to create more boost and fueling from the standard ecu map. the other increases the preasure of the fuel bar so that more fuel is put into the cilinders, i think that the maf system is much better as its always these that are recomended,
Andy
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Some people complain about lack of linearity wicth such boxes. What are your opinions? Do you feel that the engine is not as smooth as before? Are there flat spots?
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I would always recommend a remap over a tuning box, I have had both and the remap gave more power with less smoke, and an increase from 49 - 50 mpg to 53 mpg!! [:D]
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rostami</i>

Some people complain about lack of linearity wicth such boxes. What are your opinions? Do you feel that the engine is not as smooth as before? Are there flat spots?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Rostami, Ive got a psi motorsport box and would highy recommend, I got it from ebay second hand and paid about 90 quid for it. Engine definately sounds "throatier" under full throttle. With my box it has four sets of power which you adjust by changing jumpers, I have only tried it on max setting though![;)] Unfortunately today my clutch has started to slip again a bit- I had this problem when I got the box but it went away completely after a couple of weeks- today its back after it not happening for a couple of months [:(] so may have to power down a bit. Im unplugging it tomorrow anyway as its MOT time and the car does smoke more with the box hooked up..
Cheers
Paul
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Paul,
Can you please tell me exactly to which engine components or sensors does your box connect to?
Thanks,
Rostami.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

The PSI box plugs in between each injector and the wiring loom. It also gets a power supply from the battery.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Rossd,
In that case I don´t really understand how the box works. Just by looking at the signals the ECU generates to control the injectors, you get speed and dewll or duty-cycle information... Or is the case that the box adds a constant offset to the injectors control signals (such as a longer time open, hence more Diesel goes in the cylinders?)