What do you think of this?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oscar Too
My Cars:

What do you think of this?

Post by Oscar Too »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 50684&rd=1
I've got a BX as some of you know, have always fancied the rocket ship looks and attitude of an XM. Turbo manual would be preferred, and I've even gone as far as leaving a note of someone's windscreen in the past.
Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Experience of these?
Don't need it of course, it's pure fantasy but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Oscar
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

No MOT, no tax, BAD rust in the doors, approaching 200k and its an XM-the owner probably hasn't been able to give it away!!!
These are 10 a penny with MOT etc and a lot cleaner bodywise- unless its very local to you to go and look at and make a silly offer, I wouldn't bother!! Just hang on for a better one.....£150, he's got to be joking!!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The 2.1 litre TD12 engine is probably the best indirect injection turbo diesel made. Mine has done over 530 000 km and still uses no oil, returns 45 mph and is still amazingly comfortable. I am surprised to se it advertised as a 1990 - I was under the impression that they started marketing the TD12 in 1991 and even then only sold a few. I'd get the seller to post the ORGA number (stencilled in white paint on the LH front door hinge plate). I wouldn't call that bad rust - the XM was fully galvanized from new - there are a lot of other cars from the nineties looking a lot worse and costing a lot more.
The real killer on old XM's is the dreadful earthing arangement - which may have been fixed by a previous owner. Apart from that, the diesel has less things electric to go wrong. Check rear suspension arm bearings, front suspension top mounts, door sills, noisy hydraulic tappets at tick over + other typical Citroën maladies.
The small engine oil leak could be the crank oil seal at either end - at the flywheel end its a sod.
I'd certainly give it a look at if I was in the UK - diesel XM's command a premium over here (Sweden)!
//NiSk
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Bxbodger obviously hasn't looked carefully at the market lately! While there still a few cheap Mk1s about, Mk2 manual diesels are getting very difficult to find, especially estates. Plenty of auto's but I personally dont like them and there's always the possibility of the auto box failing and writing the vehicle off.
I am on my 4th 2.1 td XM and have not been able to find another vehicle to match it, and I've tried a few. For comfort. ride space and fuel economy, they cant be beaten. We have just done a trip to the far north of Scotland and averaged 53.9 mpg driving sensibly.
They are well designed mechanically and once in good shape, reliable, but they are a pig to work on or expensive if you dont do your own maintenance. I have just done a head gasket on mine, not a pleasant experience but I wouldn't expect any more trouble with it for 100k or so. My last car had done 292k when I sold it and was still going strong.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Just a PS, to that. Go for a MK2 2 if you can afford it, the electrics are more reliable and there have been some improvments in accessability. Mk2 = after august 94, chevron in centre of grill, curved instrument housing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

PPS I have never seen a rusty one!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The plate is likely worth a bit...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

With a new head gasket it cant be a bad buy - one of the worst feared and inevitable jobs. Would write the car off if you had to pay for it!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Apologies to bxdodger - I hadn't read the ad, but I've never seen a rusty one, I would imagine that its been repaired and taken the galvanising off.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

What bothers me about this car is that he's had it ten years,and its got the personal plate, yet he wants to sell it without an MOT. A complex car like an XM is worthless without at least some mot, and if it was mine I would be getting it tested, thereby enabling me to sell the plate seperately AND get more money for the car!!
Its clearly had a lot of problems with the cooling system, and | get the impression he wants shot of it as quick as he can!!!
After all, the test only expired 23/6, 4 days ago- why put it on ebay now and not say 4 months ago when it would have been worth quite a bit more?
Unless very rare or especially desireable, a rusty 14 year old car with no T&T is worth precisely nothing, or at most a few quid as a donor, certainly not £150-00!!!!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thats probably why it hasn't got an MOT. The cost of remedial work would probably exceed the value of the car. You don't get much done on an XM for £150, my head gasket job would have been nearly £1000, unless you are a DIY man or very rich, an XM isn't really a viable proposition. But I've still never seen a rusty one.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Yes, bodger I think is right - my reaction would be to put 6months T&T on it and reassure the potential buyer somewhat. I've asked about the oil leak and not had a reply either.
Oh well, dream on. SWMBO may put her foot down too so the car will be cheap but the divorce expensive.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

If you want an XM with some speed why not find a 24valve V6 !!!! wouldn't a deisel in a car that size be 'sedate' ??
seeya,
Shane L.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Depends what you want. My 2.1 td estate does 0-60 in about 12 secs and about 115 mph which is plenty fast enough for me, but it will also do in excess of 50mpg which is far more important to me. The 2.5 td is quite a bit faster but is even more difficult to work on than mine, that also is important. If you want a fast diesel, look at the performance figures of the new Audi A8 td, 0-60 about 6 secs, top speed governed to 155 mph!
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Value for money, ease of access and reliability are what I want, along with a certain quirky Citroen approach to engineering. When I put it like that, I guess I ought to stick with my BX!