citroen xm - cold starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john Kerfoot Jones

citroen xm - cold starting problems

Post by john Kerfoot Jones »

It takes about nine or ten attempts to start my citroen xm when the engine is cold. After that it coughs and splutters until the engine is warm. After that it is fine and runs very smoothly. I recently bought the car at an auction. It is the SEi model and registered on 30th August 1990. The car has obviously been standing quite a lot since the recorded mileage is still only 33000 miles. Since buying it, I have had to put onto it a new starter and water pump . The need for a starter could probably be related to the starting problems which place a great deal of demand on the starter. I have taken the car to our local citroen agents and they reckon that the car needs a "cold start valve", the price of which was quoted as an astounding hundred pounds + labour + VAT. Please could someone advize me of a cheaper alternative
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Scrappy??
I take it you have checked the obvious, plugs, leads, dissy, fuel getting there etc etc ..... And then of course all of the electrical connections. It might be a good idea to just open and clean every connector you see under the hood, relays included.
Good luck,
Niek.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If the diagnosis means the device connected to the injection pump by a piece of bowden cable, I think you'll find it's interchangable with just about any other diesel car with the same make of injection pump, so it should'nt be to difficult to find somthing suitable at a scrap yard.
//NiSk