Over excited wiper

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlWilliams
My Cars:

Over excited wiper

Post by AlWilliams »

Left for work this morning, went to clear the rear window, low and behold the rear wiper started............. but didn't stop.
Can someone confirm if the intermittant wash wipe for the rear, is controlled by a relay box type device found in the boot door.
Many thanks.
Al
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think it is but don't have the book with me.
My ZX seems to have a haunted rear wiper which operates sometimes when the aftermarket immobiliser hasn't picked up the key tag. Most of the wiring for this lovely device seems to be around the fusebox area and it would seem to be an interferance with the earth of some component allowing current to back feed the wiper or something. I've never bothered to investigate as its not worth it but this may give you a clue.
Jeremy
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Thanks
I'll have a prod around when I get home.
AthlonZX
My Cars:

Post by AthlonZX »

Hi AlWilliams
There is a small blue relay that controls the rear wiper attached to the wiring for the motor itself in the boot. Before you just replace the relay, check to see if there is any water leaking down through the wiper spine and onto the motor and/or relay. This happened to my old turbo diesel ZX, and as a result I couldnt turn the wiper off when it rained!! [:0].
If you find water in or around the area, take the rear wiper arm off, along with the top cover, and put a little silcon sealant down there. I also changed how the relay was mounted, and placed it in a plastic bag pointing upwards incase the same thing ever happened again so that water would just run round the outside of the bag, rather than into the relay.
Hope this helps.
AthlonZX(Dave)
Citroen ZX Volcane 2.0 1994 91912 miles [:D]
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

To add to daves post, I used some electrical tape round the threaded bit and then some silicone in the hole, then tightened the lot up, cleaned the plug for the relay and put a new relay on, and its been fixed ever since. Im presuming this is the same situation on your car. The blue relays seem to be in every french car ive ever seen (i horded some just incase!)