Xantia suspension hard

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Whitecrook
My Cars:

Xantia suspension hard

Post by Whitecrook »

When I got my xantia i noticed that the ride was very smooth and I could go over drains/ potholes etc no problem, but i noticed the suspension looked knackered as the front right hand side would bounce if cornering left at about 60mph or braking to a stop would bounce the front up and down.
I put it into the garage a couple of months ago for a new suspension and they changed 5 spheres and filled with new LHM, but now the ride seems quite harsh, i can feel everything on the road very 'sharply' almost hard and it definately feels worse than any other car i ride in.
I put it in again for new timing belt the other week and they said the suspension was a bit hard too and they said they would take it back and have a look at it.
Pushing the front down with the engine idling moves about 2 inch and same at the rear.
What could the problem be, does the LHM need flushing? could that cure it?
Should I see fluid in the LHM gauge on the reservoir when the car is at max height ? ( I don't see any now, but I recall seeing some before the sus was changed)
Done 156,000 miles so far.
Thanks for reading this
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

job has not been done right, firstly are they new spheres, and yes at full hight the orange marker should be at the max level so it seems you need LHM fluid and the system will need bleeding "that their job not your" you paid for it get them to sort is as soon as possible because it could burn the pump out if you use the car without lhm fluid and no its probably does not need flushing ( Should I see fluid in the LHM gauge on the reservoir when the car is at max height ) NO just the orange and gold markers.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Whitecrook</i>

When I got my xantia i noticed that the ride was very smooth and I could go over drains/ potholes etc no problem, but i noticed the suspension looked knackered as the front right hand side would bounce if cornering left at about 60mph or braking to a stop would bounce the front up and down.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hmm, I'm not quite sure what to make of that. Back then, if you pressed down on the corner of the car did the left and right front seem about the same or very different ?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I put it into the garage a couple of months ago for a new suspension and they changed 5 spheres and filled with new LHM, but now the ride seems quite harsh, i can feel everything on the road very 'sharply' almost hard and it definately feels worse than any other car i ride in.
Did you notice this harshness straight away, or did it take a couple of months ? If the latter, did you notice a change in the ride that was gradual or sudden ?
Either way, it sounds like the garage has stuffed the job up, as there is no way that the ride should feel worse than most other cars you've ever driven. It should be better than most other cars you've ever driven. [:)]
Assuming that the ride height is normal (not visibly too high or low) then either they put the wrong spheres on, or they put old/regassed/second hand spheres which have since failed.
This wouldn't be the first time I've heard of this kind of thing - if you look back through the forum there is at least one case of each that I've helped someone get to the bottom of. (Old regassed sphere sold as new that failed within days, and someone else whose garage put regulator spheres on the front suspension!)
Either way I'd be taking it back to them and pointing out that they've made things WORSE, and they should really be sorting it out for no charge.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I put it in again for new timing belt the other week and they said the suspension was a bit hard too and they said they would take it back and have a look at it.
And so they should! [:D] And not charge you for it...
Pushing the front down with the engine idling moves about 2 inch and same at the rear.
What could the problem be, does the LHM need flushing? could that cure it?
One possible mistake that might fit your symptoms is if they put Hydractive 2 corner spheres on a standard hydropneumatic Xantia.
(Is yours hydractive 2 or not ? VSX and Exclusive are Hydractive 2, SX and lower models are not)
The hydractive 2 corner spheres have VERY small damper bypass holes, that without having a hydractive system with centre "comfort" sphere, will result in a ride that has VERY firm damping, and every little stone size irregularity and manhole cover will pass right through harshly, even though you'll find you can probably drive over judder bars quite well...
Regards,
Simon
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you see fluid in level indicator you have over filled to the point where float tube is full to over filling,that means the fluid in tank must be near the top,to check corect level put susp up to highest setting on level ground,wait for it to stop rising then yellow disc sould be between red bands,and all the copper disc dose is conects the two terminals at the bottom of indicator when fluid is to low,with refrence to hard susp may be they just re/gased you old spheres or fitted re/gased not brand new onesregards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps i would firstly check your recipt from garage that did the job,see if it sayes they fitted new or re/gased spheres,then go back to them and ask them which they fitted regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree with what has been said above but do wonder if the ride height has dropped a touch due to nothing more difficult than a sticky height corrector. Makes a world of difference to my BX if it gets sticky as the car seems to ride a touch low. You need to be very thorough and make sure all the various joints and rods are well greased. I found using a brush was helpful.
jeremy
Whitecrook
My Cars:

Post by Whitecrook »

thanks for responses,
it's an 1.9td LX so no hydractive2 etc
Yeah I need to take it back to the garage but it's a very inconvenient. The MOT is out at the end of the month too.
Quote:
The hydractive 2 corner spheres have VERY small damper bypass holes, that without having a hydractive system with centre "comfort" sphere, will result in a ride that has VERY firm damping, and every little stone size irregularity and manhole cover will pass right through harshly, even though you'll find you can probably drive over judder bars quite well...
This describes the problem very well, manhole covers especially annoying. But how can i tell if it's the right spheres? B
I saw the old spheres from the car and they looked well rough.
I've just had a thought, the chip mark on the sphere looks like it has been hit with an angle grinder but could it be chisel mark where someone has taken it off another car already?
As for the height adjuster + LHM marker, the car goes up and down no problems, but the LHM reservoir doesn't change.
This is the best picture i could get - it looks the same for each of the 4 height settings. That isn't right is it?
Anyway gonna take it back to the garage as soon as i can.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

The spheres have been date marked, hence the black lettering. A 'mechanic' has put them on your car and ensured they are tight by using a chisel to ensure a tight fit. Not the most professional job I have seen! judging by your resoviour tank you are short of fluid. The yellow disk at all times should be between the two red marks. May I suggest the system is bled? Perhaps the garage who did the job may wish to correct the problem correctly?
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Just noticed I was wrong on the tank float level! This should be checked at this height with the car on the maximum height position.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'm not sure if I've read the numbering correctly but the sphere seems to have the number N45332 which is the GSF Amtex code for a non-hydractive Xantia TD or 2.0 8 or 16 valve front.
Have a look at the downloads catalogue (vis home page) for references.
The disc clearly shown in the indicator photo is the copper disc which operates the level switch. The conical thing above it is the level indicator which should be between the 2 marker rings when the car is fully raised. At all other times the thing hits the top of the indicator! A little too much LHM only makes a mess.
Jeremy