immobilised xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peter mawer
My Cars:

immobilised xantia

Post by peter mawer »

Just gone to my xantia 1.9 td T reg after the daughter got some stuff out of it, it does not have the keypad thingy, but it is dead as a dodo, i think my daughter has immobilised it with the remote and nothing I do seems to work, the speedo is on 140mph ( thats a first ) although the engine is obvciously not running, can anyone help, tried looking through the guide but cannot find this one, cheers
peter mawer
My Cars:

Post by peter mawer »

me again, the car will start with jump leads, went to get a new battery from my regular supplier of tyres etc, and instead of taking my money he says it is probably a loose earth connection somewhere so a new battery will not help, what an honest chap. Does this fault mean its an electrical automotive engineer who needs to do the work ?.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Do you have access to a multi meter? measure the voltage across the terminals when it is idling, if u get 14 volts your alternator should be OK. If it is, it sounds though your battery has a collapsed cell. Assuming your terminals are on tight? When you get the car started switch on your headlight when idling, if the lights dim then it either a problem with the alternator or the battery and unlikely to be an earth problem. Remember about the radio code when changing the battery if you have not already lost it?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

check negative battery lead where it bolts to gear box with a 13mm bolt,i had to look at a xara the other week,same thing looked like flat battery turned out to be this conection regards malcolm