Xantia fans working overtime!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Xantia fans working overtime!

Post by ktaylor21662 »

The cooling fans on my P reg Xantia 1.9TD (a taxi working a 12 hour shift) seem to be on all day! During the recent hot spell they have been running at the higher speed about 50% of the time and at the lower speed, the other 50%. Today has been much cooler, yet they have been running at the lower speed all day; including when I have the ignition switched on but the engine off. The coolant is fully topped-up and the temp gauge never reads above 85 degrees! The top hose is hot and so is the radiator top. Can anyone explain; is this normal or is there likely to be a fault somewhere?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

something to do with air/con can cause this not sure what someone on here will im sure regards malcolm
ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Post by ktaylor21662 »

Oh yes, by-the-way, it has air-con which probably needs servicing.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Check the connections on the two temp sensors screwed into the thermostat housing - one is for the temp gauge, the other for the overheat warning lights and cooling fans.(Can't remember which is which offhand).
If this connection is loose it can have the effect of making the fans run all the time.
ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Post by ktaylor21662 »

Removed the right-hand (brown) sensor. This had the effect of making the fans run continuously, even when the ignition was switched off. I switched the ignition on and off a couple of times and the fans went off. Kevin.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The brown sensor on the thermostat housing controls the fans.
It goes intermittent or loose connector and causes the fans to spin fast.
It can also cause the STOP-overheat warning lights to come on.
When the air conditioner is close to overload, it will also switch the fans to fast speed.
Also check the earthings under the battery for corrosion.
The fan control box...Bitron...is earthed under the battery.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Post by ktaylor21662 »

Terry - can you discribe to me where I can find the two 40 amp fuses you mentioned in a previous posting. Thanks, Kevin.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ktaylor21662</i>

Terry - can you discribe to me where I can find the two 40 amp fuses you mentioned in a previous posting. Thanks, Kevin.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Kevin,
The 2 fuses are mounted to the inside of the passenger side guard, just near the black fuse box.
That's for a Xantia 2 litre 8 valve petrol.
Looking in picture book to see if diesel is different.
Back soon.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Kevin,
Owner's handbook under my nose...no use...is drawings only.
Look down onto battery from front of car.
Just further up >>> the big black fuse box.
To the right of it, attached to guard, under two plastic covers...the 40A fuses.
ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Post by ktaylor21662 »

Cheers - I'll take a look!
ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Post by ktaylor21662 »

Can't find them where you indicated! I'm looking at some pictures myself. Is your under bonnet fuse box of the ridged type (looks similar to the moulding of the air filter housing) as mine is a smaller smooth sided moulding with a separate "box" for the higher amperage fuses. The owners manual does not indicate what these are for; but two, E and F, are 40 amps and next to each other. Could these be them? I'm looking at the wiring diagrams in a Haynes manual to see if they shed any light. Kevin.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Kevin,
There's plenty of context on this subject.
Go to <u></u>Search<u></u> at top right of screen and put in 'cooling fans'...there are several pages.
1:20AM here...going to bed.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ktaylor21662</i>

Can't find them where you indicated! I'm looking at some pictures myself. Is your under bonnet fuse box of the ridged type (looks similar to the moulding of the air filter housing) as mine is a smaller smooth sided moulding with a separate "box" for the higher amperage fuses. The owners manual does not indicate what these are for; but two, E and F, are 40 amps and next to each other. Could these be them? I'm looking at the wiring diagrams in a Haynes manual to see if they shed any light. Kevin.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Kevin,
Yes, it must be them...40A large fuses.
There are many variations of layout.