Xantia Towing Temperature

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia Towing Temperature

Post by CitroJim »

Last week I put a new rad and thermostat in the Xant as I'm always a bit fussy about achieving good cooling generally and especially when towing. I replaced the rad as it had lost a few fins at the bottom and a bit of blue fur on the bottom edge suggested it was not far off beginning to leak a tad. I put in a Nissins ally rad of the same breed as I have in my 205. The 205 one is excellent, however hard I thrash it I cannot make the needle move from it's normal spot and the fans never come on. (they do work, I know!)
I digress, The new Xant thermostat is marked as being an 83 degree one and not very surprisingly, the temperature gauge hovers around the 80 degree mark.
Yesterday I towed our caravan 90 miles in warm but damp weather and generally the car towed faultlessly and with no problems whatsoever despite being stuck in a huge traffic jam. No fluids were used.
My fans cut in at an indicated 90 degrees on the gauge and the temperature soon reverts to 82 'ish, even when hot and moving slowly in a jam. However when towing at 55-60 MPH the temperature gauge hovers between 85 'ish and nearly 90 degrees for most of the time. Despite some hard slogs and lots of low-speed sodding around to get the 'van into a very tight pitch it never exceeded 90 degrees at any time and showed no signs of distress. No coolant was lost/consumed at all.
I can't help thinking that running at 90 degrees for long periods is not good for the overall health of the engine though. Solo, it sits around the 80 mark unless stopped for any length of time.
Four questions:
Does this seems normal and OK?
Is an 83 degree 'stat right for the 1.9 TD Xant?
Is a lower temperature thermostat available and if so, would the fitting of such an item (for summer towing use) be recommended?
Am I just being a bit paranoid here?
Thanks!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

1: Yes, this sounds fine.
2: Yes, sounds about right.
3: I don't think so, and you wouldn't want the engine any cooler anyway.
4: Possibly.
What you will find is that because the engine is working harder while towing, there is more heat being generated, and hence more heat has to be lost through the rad. In order to do this, the flow rate of water needs to be higher. In order for this to happen, the thermostat needs to be slightly further open, which means it has to be hotter.
My 405 1.9TD runs at 80 normally, but when towing up a long hill flat out will rise to about 95, but then stay there indefinitely. This is good for the engine in my opinion, as an engine that runs too cool (below 80) runs the risk of the oil being below it's optimum, condensation not vapourising off, and generally clogging up with goo.
As long as the fans are working, it doesn't use coolant, and it never gets over 100degrees, then its fine.
Once it starts to read 110 and climbing while towing, then you have a problem.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Mine runs about 80-90c normally.But when towing,usally about 90c ish.On long climbs it can go to 100c+.Had it off the scale once at 110c+,going up the mountain roads to the Mont Blanc tunnel in France,not for the faint hearted!
I think alot is to do with the front mounted intercooler.As its in front of the rad,along with the a/con rad as well,the radiator is the last to get any air,hence less cooling effect.Other Xantia owners i`ve spoke to on caravan sites tend to agree.As the ones with the early Xantia`s where the i/cooler is on top of the engine have no problems.The same with owners without a/con.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks both, I shall rest easy now..
I have to agree about the intercooler Neil. I noticed how dense and close the fins are on it and how much resistance that must offer to the airflow. Not one of the better design parts of the Xantia...
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Just done a bit of caravan towing with my Dad`s 406 HDI.That had a small intercooler beside the radiator.Temp never moved off the 90c,norm mark.Also used to have a Rover 200 Td(`99),that had a small i/cooler next to the rad,again,temp gauge never moved.
I just think there are to many radiators in the Xantia`s engine bay.Would have been better putting the cooling rad at the front,to get the most air.I changed the rad,thermostat & coolant 2 yrs ago,never made any difference to the temp.