2CV Sidewinder needs handbrake!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vidfletch
My Cars:

2CV Sidewinder needs handbrake!

Post by vidfletch »

I have a 2CV Sidewinder. Its a 2CV body on a Ami Super chassis with GSA 1299cc engine. I don't have the GSA handbrake cables but can get them from Chevronics. Will they match up to the 2CV handbrake mechanism? My calipers have the hexagonal rod adjusters for the handbrake pads. I realise this is a bit obscure but having searched the forum I see there is some experience of this type of hybrid!
Does anyone have any suggestions on exhausts as well?
Cheers.
Vidfletch
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when i built my daugters dersh over three years,i used GSA hand brake adjusters but had to use dersh cables,certanly makes adjusting easyer regards malcolm,ps where do you live
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as for your exhaust i think it was john soby in ccc had or new someone who had some ami super kidny boxes regards malcolm
vidfletch
My Cars:

Post by vidfletch »

Dersh? As in dershevaux? LOL!!!
I am not sure exactly what handbrake mechanism the car has. The GSA, Ami Super and 2CV one all look the same so I don't think that matters too much. I will try the GSA cables first and if they are no use I will go the 2CV route.
There was an Ami Super kidney box on Ebay this week. A new old stock one in France, it went for £154!!! I am sure I would be cheaper having a complete system built.
I live in Fife in Scotland by the way.
Cheers.
Vidfletch
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes dersh is 2cv,2cv and early GS,s have similar adjusters,they have lock bolt and excentric adjuster,later GS/GSA,s have a fosferas bronze unit with a cam which is moved round by a spindle which is threaded into unit with 8mm hex top end which you whind down to adjust hand brake,if you car has 2cv lever you will need 2cv cables,this is why i used 2cv cables on GSA adjusters reagrds malcolm
vidfletch
My Cars:

Post by vidfletch »

Thanks for that.
I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on.
Vidfletch
vidfletch
My Cars:

Post by vidfletch »

Right! I have nearly all the bits for the handbrake now! It looks like the 2CV cables will be ideal.
The handbrake mechanism I have is exactly the same for the Ami Super. Is this the same as the GSA? I am not sure now! Anyway I am missing the piece that the cables attach to on the hand brake control lever which is attached to the bulkhead.
Click on the link below to a diagram of it. It is Part Number 19 I require. If anyone has this I would be extremely grateful if I could buy it from them.
http://img154.echo.cx/my.php?image=image016jt.jpg
Thanks in advance!
Vidfletch
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thats the Ami/GS set up in your diagram.
Try Rob Moss at Chevronics (do a search on google has a good website)
He will have about a million, probably new and used to choose from.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that is GS/A and if i remember AMIS as well,those cables will be for the same,the adjusters i mentioned earlier are late GS/A and the good thing about them is you dont need two spaners to adjust hand brake you jost use an 8mm spaner,also i have probably got a No19 somewhere as i have dismanteled quite a few Gs regards malcolm
vidfletch
My Cars:

Post by vidfletch »

Hi!
Bizarrely I had just come off the phone to Chevronics ordering some brake caliper seals and other bits and went online and read the thread.
I had asked if the Ami Super mechanism was the same as GSA and they said no. I didn't ask if the GS was the same though. So back on the phone again and aksed them this. They were not sure but asked me to email the diagram. They will find out in the morning if they have it and will send it if they do.
Malcolm if they don't have it, if you could send me one I will gladly pay for it. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.
Thanks again everyone.
Vidfletch
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It looks like a simple bridle holding the ends of 2 cables - might a BX one do the job?
jeremy
vidfletch
My Cars:

Post by vidfletch »

Hi!
I have no idea! It needs to fit in between the top and bottom of the arm. I have never seen a BX one so I don't know. I suppose I could get down the scrappies but I think I will eventually get the correct one.
Thanks!
Vidfletch
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There's an illustrated BX parts list in PDF form on the CitroenZ site (link on RHS of homepage)
http://www.citroenz.com/
Jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Errrr...
J - the BX counterpart for item 19 above dos not fit. This is a twin hook to have the cable eyes at end of cables to go over.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

. . . and the BX ones have eyes which fit over hooks on the bridle - which can then be made of a simple flat plate.
Thanks Anders - I remember now - and didn't try and look at the PDF myself as the version of acrobat on this machine at work has pictures of dinosaurs frolicing in a rain forest on it!
Jeremy