my handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lighteninguk

my handbrake

Post by lighteninguk »

with my 1.4i ZX due for an MOT soon, i have recently come aware that my nearside rear wheel doesnt have any stopping power, so after cleaning the car today, i popped the nearside up on a jack with handbrake on, and found i could still turn (although there was some resistance) the wheel with ease [xx(].
i am wanting to find out what is wrong so i can send it in to a garage and say "that specific part is broken, fix it". although i do have done some work on cars in the past i dont like messing with the rear brakes, as i never seem to be able to sit the rear bearing in properly after having a brake drum off (well thats what always happened on my '85 polo, each time i would put brand new bearings in).
to isolate the problem, would it be good idea to get assistant to apply foot brake with the handbrake off and see if the wheel turns then suggesting cable problems? or is there other ways to work out (thinking i dont want to take the drum off the hub tho)
thanks again,
Edd[8]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

had the same problem with our very good ZX 1.9D at about 68,000 miles - My friendly mechanic did the job and it was thought that the adjusters would need freeing and he suggested new cables as they always go. Turned out cables both gone, both cylinders leaking - so new linings as well.
Jeremy
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

jack car up and pull the handbrake cable down hard from under the car "not from inside the car" if the wheel locks up then adjustment is required on that side if not then a strip down of that side will be required, then some wd40 on the working parts to free them up and you might just get away with a simple adjustment, at least you will be able to see if it needs new shoes.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Check the condition both handbrake cables are like from under the car...much easier if you have ramps....if there a bit frail then get them replaced...while the cables are being done....check whether the adjusters in the drums are knackered...if so replace these....and since the adjusters may be out change the pads if they need doing....this was pretty much the case for me....at least i know that the back end is all done now so dont need to worry....the adjuster had kinda pretty much disappeared from inside the drum....never did find it