ZX 16v Engine Oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmwoowar
My Cars:

ZX 16v Engine Oil

Post by jmwoowar »

This might seem and obvious question, but what is the recomended oil for this engine? I've bought a 1994 2.0i 16v, but it came without any service info. I've heard people use 15-40w as it helps the hydraulic valve lifters work more efficiently at startup.
Also, what gearbox oil has anyone found to be tried and tested in this car? I ask because I put some gearbox oil in my previous ZX 8v that the local motor shop suggested and you could hardly get the car in gear until it had warmed up.
Thanks.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

15W/40 is the recommended for moderate climate synthetic of course.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

I put a 10w40 semi synth oil in my 16v, doesn't do any harm, and I have no trouble with the hydraulic tappets.
The gearbox oil is BV oil. If you look in the GSF catalogue you will see it. It is very thin oil..not at all what you would expect gear oil to be, but it works a treat!!
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

cold climate = 5W/40
moderate = 15W/40
hot = 20W/40
by the book mate and it also says an alternative is 10W/40 semi synthetic for moderate climate.
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

Is this the gear oil?
regards
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

To state the obvious, it does say "Gear Oil" on the bottle.
The viscosity is the same as the Total BV that is recommended for Citroens and it also has "BV" written on it which I thought was the name of a Total product, i.e. a trademark.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

haha nice one Kowalski and nice pictures, I cant get the hang of uploading pictures so I gave it up as a dead loss, not even going to try anymore it gives me a head ake.
jmwoowar
My Cars:

Post by jmwoowar »

Thanks for all the replies (and the pictures :-), off to get some engine oil and BV gear oil now.