Xantia Cambelt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marpate1
My Cars:

Xantia Cambelt change

Post by marpate1 »

Hi all,
Newbie here, and this site is great. I've already fixed some problems by looking through the archives [:D].
I have had my Xantia 1.9TD '94 for a few months now. Sailed through the MOT having changed one lower ball joint, both front brake hoses, freed the back brakes and filed the lip off one front disk (don't ask[;)]).
It has done 67000 miles and I wondered if I really should change the cambelt as a precaution. I don't know if it has been done before, but is not oily or cracked.
If a change is due, is there anything else which should be changed at the same time (tensioners etc.)?
Many thanks,
Mark
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi. YES get it changed anyway, it is disasturous if it breaks!! Tensioners dont generally need changing but water pumps are recommended, as they are timing belt driven and commonly fail..
Good work so far with what you tackled ..
Regards
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

When it comes to cambelts, there's a simple thing to follow; when in doubt, change it.
If there's no proof the belt has been changed, don't even think twice about it. Same applies if it has been changed but you have doubts on teh ability of whoever did the job.
Water pump is possibly not worth the risk as they aren't an expensive pump and tensioners can be checked but again, if in doubt, swap across.
It's not as though these are items that need doing all that often so any risk taken is a potential disaster.
Alan S
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

Thanks guys,
I guess that I have some work to do on Saturday then [:)].
Cheers,
Mark
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it's the original it's due for changing on age as well as mileage, 72k is recommended on the later ones but on a '94 it could be less. I thought the one on my wifes BX had been changed as the rest of the car was A1, but it broke at 114k, the subsequent repairs costing me about £250, doing it myself!
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Change it, it is the most wise investment you can make.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

a wise choice indeed is to change it unless you can get in touch with the last/previous owners and get as much history as possible, to do nothing and knowing what you know is like waiting for a tooth ake which you know is going to happen.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

This months CM magazine has a numptys guide to changing the 1.9TD cam belt with far more useful pictures than the Haynes BOL. Worth the £3 odd if you havent done one before.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

http://groups.msn.com/bitsandpiecesbits ... 7333726576
not a briliant picture but hope you can read it
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Green</i>

http://groups.msn.com/bitsandpiecesbits ... 7333726576
not a briliant picture but hope you can read it
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Richard,
Many thanks for this. Don't you just love real technical manuals - everything is so clear and understandable [:)].
Cheers,
Mark
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

Im just glad you can read it, I put it on that site because its way too big to put on here "plus I still dont know how to" and ill get better with the camera as I go along, you only get a little upload space with msn so as it get full ill have to delete it so I hope you all take a copy for future reference.