Bx GTi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mudinureye
My Cars:

Bx GTi

Post by mudinureye »

Good morning, all.
I managed to get the GTi up and runnug, by butchering the radiator hose and stretching it to attach to the thermostat housing. The problem now is that the fan won't work; simple enough to fix, I think. The car rose up in about 20 seconds, this after having sat still for 3 months. It is driving rather rough, being very difficult with the gear selection. What I am wondering is, do I spend any money having it serviced, try to breathe some new life into it, or just bite the bullet and get rid?
I have always been too sentimental about damn cars [8)] and this one I have a soft spot for. It only cost £300 3 years ago and has seen me move from the continent back to Ireland and driven me around there with applomb up until 3 months ago. A conundrum.
[?]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If its like the TD BX there's a switch in the radiator which controlls the fans - and if you've got 2 it probably runs them in series for slow speed and parallel for high speed. On the TD the switch is on the off side just above the bottom hose. (I know the radiator has its filler on this side but it will be in one of the headers.)
Probably as a first step see of its got any power.
Gear linkage - Does the clutch only break with the poedal near the floor? - If so you may be able to adjust it and this will improve the gearchgange but may be a sign that the diaphragm spring is on the way out. The rod ends may be worn but from experience and postings on here this leads to a sloppy lever and perhaps one dropping off rather than difficulty in engaging gear. However it may be worth measuring theadjustable rods at the back of the gearbox and making sure nothing has siezed.
Whey get rid - if you buy anything else you're almost certainly going to have to pay out after purchase to get running the way you like and unless you pay a great deal your new car will be worth damn all after you've paid for it.
Jeremy
Jeremy
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

How about trying this "classical" link:
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/coo ... oling.html
mudinureye
My Cars:

Post by mudinureye »

Excellent info, Jeremy, thank you. I'll have a go at adjusting the clutch this evening, as it isn't biting 'til the last minute. Most other things seem to be operational, apart from the ABS, as mentioned in a previous thread.
I will persevere!!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Regarding your clutch/gear selection problem problem, does your car have the L shaped clutch operating arm on top of the bell housing-I don't know if its a different on the GTI to the slower BX's, but if it is the L shaped arm take a close look at it- they suffer from hairline cracks as the arm slowly breaks in two closing the L shape up a little bit every time you put your foot on the pedal.

The symptoms are gear selection getting harder, constant clutch adjustment, etc. As its usually filthy and dark down there you don't always spot the cracks for some time!!!
There is a much better modified arm available as a direct replacement- a cheap and easy fix!!!![:)][:p]
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Give the old girl some life...keep her going...whats the mileage out of interest?
mudinureye
My Cars:

Post by mudinureye »

I will try all those things, in an effort to keep her alive. The mileage is only 70000, the car having had 2 previous owners.
When it was running properly, it was a joy to drive. I previously had a GS Pallas and a ZX Volcane; this was better than both. Supremely comfy and adequately fast!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

There is a modified part for the clutch lever on top of the gearbox, much more robust, if you are a scrapyard type one can come from just about any 1.9, or 1.6 petrol or diesel BX, just not TD,1.4 or 16 valve, keep the thing on the road.
Stewart
mudinureye
My Cars:

Post by mudinureye »

Well, the place where I have the car stored wants me to get rid of it. Since it has no MOT or tax, I can't drive it away, and, anyway, I have nowhere else to put it. Therefore, it has to be scrapped. I am bereft. I am also now looking for a Xantia TD or HDI. This might be cheaper than paying to fix the BX.
Bye bye old friend!!
Mud