1992 XM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doc
My Cars:

1992 XM

Post by Doc »

Well, it's been a while since posting my last report but as of 1st June I am now '<i>sans XM</i>' as I sold it after nearly 3 years of mostly happy ownership. I didn't want to sell it but I'm getting married this August and haven't got the time to spend on the car. I would rather it go to someone who can dedicate time and money on her (the XM that is, not my wife to be!)
An old XM is a bit like the Forth Bridge when it comes to maintenance. I was finding that as soon as I had replaced/repaired one bit, then something else would break...and this is on a car with FSH! However, I do miss the smooth ride, weird sci-fi looks and presence that the XM has. I reckon the XM is getting rare now as you never see that many about anymore. In the meantime I will drive my partners Pug 309 diesel as it has been annoyingly reliable over the last 3 and a half years...but I have a feeling I will return to XM ownership in the not too distant future...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

You will regret it if not already...
I have a 3.0litre V6 12 valve on LPG, returning 50mpg, and nearly going to swap the kit over to the Xantia 16v (when I get it repaired, see VALVES WANTED), but have decided, the XM is far better. If something goes wrong I'll fix it, its worth it for the Type of car and quality of fun and ride we get..... Regards
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I concur. Having tried many potential replacements I am stuck with the XM there is no substitute. I run a '96 2.1 td estate and although I have had problems I have been able to fix them, the head gasket being the worst but once the 2.1 engine is in good order it will go on forever, the last one I sold had 292K on the clock. The Mk2s are definatly more reliable.