BX diesel fuel tank capacity.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cavmad
My Cars:

BX diesel fuel tank capacity.

Post by cavmad »

Anyone know the capacity of the fuel tank on my `91 BX 1.7 (n.a) diesel hatchback please? Litres or gallons. Cheers!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Its <i>probably</i> 52 litres. Some of the early BXs had 44 litre tanks, and the larger engined models could hold 66 litres, but mainly they were 52 litres.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

About 12 gallons (52 litres) is the standard tank size for most. I wont disagree with Nick on the 44 litre tank.
66 litres is obtained by fitting an additional 12 litre (approx 2.5 gallons) tank beneath the fuel filter. This was I believe originally fitted ti the 8 valve GTi - naturally went onto the 16 valve and was also used with the TD.
(figures don't add up - 14.53 gallons is about 66 litres - I always thought the main tank was a shade under 12 gallons which is 54.5 litres - so please don't pick me up on my arithmatic!)
Jeremy
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I think the 44l tank was only fitted to the 1.4 petrols. I remember when I changed from an A reg 1.4 to a C reg 1.6, the tank on the 1.6 was larger - quite noticeably larger when filling from empty.
Ive just had a quick look in the BOL & according to them the atmo diesels are 52 litres, only the TZD non-turbo was fitted with a 60 litre tank for some reason.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There's definitely a second tank on both my 16 valve and my TD Estate - and both look the same.
Jeremy
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

There will be on a TD as you say, taking it to 66 litres.
What I meant was that Haynes claim that the non-turbo TZD had a 60L tank - apparently the only BX that did. All others were 44, 52 or 66.
I was just wondering why on earth Citroen would fit an odd size 60L tank to one specific model in the range, or is it a Haynes cockup perhaps?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I have an 89 17RD N/A, and it is definately 52 litres- I ran it almost dry once to see how far it would go with the low fuel warning light on, until my bottle went!!!I got 51 litres in.
For the record,the warning light comes on, on mine, anyway, when its down to 8 litres.
The supplementary tank is only on the turbo's.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My GTI and TZD both have the extra two gallons or so hiding behind the filler flap, only fill to the brim when in france though.
Stewart