strut top mount

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

nisk you should not jack any car up by susp/arms,best place to stick your jack is under sub frame/s,also if you jack under body you will damage rust proof coating regards malcolm
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I have heard of BXs doing it a few years ago, but that was mainly in Malaysia as they have heat, humidity and rough roads.
Here's a posting off a board over here with pics of an XM that was caught before it failed and it was claimed at the time that this was also applicable to Xantias, so might be of use to you guys in troubleshooting.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showpo ... ostcount=1
Cheers,
Alan S
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

When I said jack up under the body, I meant the standard Citroën jacking points which, after all are intended for just that purpose. Jacking up under the suspension refers to placing a trolley jack under the the front wishbone and lifting just where the bottom ball joint is attached - thus placing the same loads on the wishbone as the nornal tyre load. The whole point of the explanation was to lift the front of the car with the front suspension strut unloaded, so that any free play can be detected.
//NiSk
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Nisk i only made that statment because i repair cars for a living and see damage to undderbody all the time where people just sling a jack under with out checking what there jacking on,that includes so called profetionals like some tyre companys regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps when i started this topic i just wanted to know if GSF sell these strut tops and if so part No and price regards malcolm
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

martyhopkirk is it a xantia top mount you have,are they handed and did you want to flog it regards malcolm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It is a Xantia one - I will photograph it for you tomorrow and post / email you a pic.
horrid1
My Cars:

Post by horrid1 »

Hi from downunder! I have just purchased an XM 1991 V6, in really good order,(almost "as new"). The NZ LTSA have refused it a warrant because they suspect the top mount shows signs of failing. From the top they look perfect but from under the guard one of them looks to have a couple of wrinkles in the rubber. In my opinion they will be okay for years,but I will have to replace them to get the car back on the road legally.Check out this site: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/in ... -2-07-2003
horrid1
My Cars:

Post by horrid1 »

Back again: The final number on that address should be 200310.html. sorry about that!!
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i replaced o/s top mount wednsday pointed out to my customer n/s has cracks around base so he gave me go ahead to sort it,first one i have done very easy no prob at all,but what i asked when i started this post was dose any one know if GSF sell these if so how much and whats there part No,i did take several digy pic of this how do i get them on this site regards malcolm
ITMA
My Cars:

Post by ITMA »

Hi Malcolm'
GSF part nos. are N43462 & N43464.
Surprised you had problems finding info on the site; try searching on "xantia front suspension top mount" if you are still looking for info - however as you are now rated "expert" on this job, having just done it, I presume you are now moving on to the next problem (as one does on Citroens).
Anyway, the GSF parts are £140 each! I presume you found genuine Citroen at less than this.
Cheers,
Chris.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thanks criss but i think that is complete susp/leg at that price,i have boght both now from cit at a cost of £83 squid each this also includes leg boot which cit say you will require as well regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps criss this job was my cutomers expens ha ha he he,i run a BX and CX25 tri auto,not yet daft enough to run a xant regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Malcolm,
I'm soon to do mine. I'd really appreciate a quick rundown on whats involved, problems, pitfalls etc.
Thanks!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its easyer to remove leg completly as i did on first one,second one i thought id be clever did not seperate lower end of leg did it but wasent half a stugle,other than that,be prepaired to grind of anti roll bar drop link joint,as i got one undun the other i had to fit new because used grinder to cut it off,top strut nut remove then put back on upside down a couple of turn so as not to damage thread when you tap top of ram because its on a taper,i would say going byyou diyers hayns job ratting its prob a two spaner job regards malcolm