strut top mount

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

strut top mount

Post by citronut »

i just did search for topic/s on xantia front strut top mounts,no results found can any one point me in that direction,phoned dealer for trade price £72.23+(-expletive removed-) GSF say they dont list them regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Whats your problem??? What is happening to suspect a problem?? These top are reasonably reliable..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you not seen the topics on here yet where strut comes up through bonnet,i know how to fix,i just thought some one on here said GSF sell top mounts,customer had his xant dropt of to my workshop bonnet shape of house roof regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ah. I wasn't aware that the Xantia suffered from it due to excellent rust proofing.
I know the BX's and the odd XM's have done it though..
Regards
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have never seen BXs with this prob
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Breakers parts ?
May sound silly - but cars in DK are 98% always antirust sprayed from new - hence many DK breakers do in fact export body panel parts worldwide.
It's a bit odd - but apparently because of the antirust treatment - I've never seen or heard about a DK BX shooting up a front strut.
It's known that Xantia's can do it - but that is because of the rubber parting from the strut - not corrosion.
We do not have extremely cold winters here - but very wet winters with overnight frost sometimes reaching down to the limit of the standard roadsalt (some -7 degC).
If our roadservice forgets (or overlook) a forecast on frost - next morning will be chaos on the roads - as no-one have ever learned to drive on icy roads. It's always "nice" and salty - but safe like summertime.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

It's known that Xantia's can do it - but that is because of the rubber parting from the strut - not corrosion.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Do you know if they give any warning signs before this happens, knocking noises etc?
Just another thing for me to get paranoid about !
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Had a NS strut mount / top in my parts box for yonks. got it off fleebay for a tenner.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

anders i is talking about xant not bx,as i said earlyer i have not seen bx with this prob,martyhopkirk is it a xantia top mount you have,are they handed and did you want to flog it regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have a look at this topic..
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... strut,tops
I can happily confirm that my local Citroen Dealer got these for me in two days, genuine Citroen, for a little less than Andy's quote. I was well chuffed.
They do rust and the reason is that the plate is under a rubber covering. Water gets in between the rubber and metal and corrodes merrily away completely hidden. Have a look under your strut tops and if the rubber is bulging or becoming unbonded from the metal and rust flakes off then replace 'em. The metal plate is not very thick.
For £180 it's better to be safe than sorry. I just don't want to contemplate a strut making a guest appearance through the bonnet at 60 with the caravan on the back....
Andy, again many thanks for all your help in this. Sorry for the delayed response but my computer has been broke until today!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nick</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Do you know if they give any warning signs before this happens, knocking noises etc?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">dont know because its a customers car regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nick</i>

No, I would hazard they just loose the will and give up suddenly. I cannot imagine they would make a noise. I believe though that a possible sign is cracking becoming visible when you look at the top plates from above between the wing turret and the strut top that carries the sphere. I always have a look at mine every time I check the oil and give them an exploratory poke with a big screwdriver...
It only takes a moment...
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citrojim</i>
I believe though that a possible sign is cracking becoming visible when you look at the top plates from above between the wing turret and the strut top that carries the sphere. I always have a look at mine every time I check the oil and give them an exploratory poke with a big screwdriver...
It only takes a moment...
Yep I do check the plates at the top of the struts now & again, there's a fair bit of surface corrosion but no cracks and nothing that a screwdriver would go through.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes jim i know i have been on to cit/dealer also GSF say they dont list them,has anyone got GSF part No regards malcolm
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

It's the XM which has a real problem with turret mountings - although it appears that Xantias have inherited the design fault. Om my XM you could quite easily poke a small sharp screwdriver through the steel plate that the rubber is bonded to. On the other side of the car, teh rubberbonding under teh wing had separated completely, so that when you lifted the front of the car off the ground (under the body, not under the suspension) you could move the entire strut up and down several inches.
These are the basic checks that you can perform on an XM to see it you have dodgy turrent mounting, I guess they should apply to a XANTIA as well.
//NiSk