Things to look out for at 120K

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ryanbaldwin
My Cars:

Things to look out for at 120K

Post by ryanbaldwin »

Hello everybody,
I've owned my Xantia 1.9TD for about a year now. It had done about 92000 miles when I brought it and earlier this month just passed 120000. Last year all the disks and pads where replaced, all the suspension spheres, and the radiator/thermostat and coolant where changed and I flushed the engine. I have been changing the filters and oil reguarly.
Just last week the exaust came apart. The main pipe came off the silencer box and was resting on a bar that runs across the bottom of the car. Thankfully the car still got me home. I'm now looking at replacing the exaust myself.
My question is though is there anything else that is likley to fail at this milage which maybe I should check/replace or have checked ?
Thanks in advance
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

How about the timing belt, water pump and the timing belt adjuster and idler? Has the LHM ever been changed and the filters cleaned? That should keep you busy!
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Ha ha nice one Dave, tell it like it is!! I love these Citroens. [:)]
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

120,000 miles... is that all? but if you're after something else to do instead of loafing about, than you could also make sure your rear arm bearings are okay.. if you can catch these before they are seriously worn, they are fairly straightforward.. and about 30 quid a side
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Might I suggest new spheres, replacement speedo binnacle, check the ABS sensors, new discs amd pads, non working remote plips, radiators need replacing, knackered door hinges, bad door locks, replace headlamp bulbs with ones you can see with, clutch (if cared for ) at around 120k. You have to be rather batty to want a high mileage Xantia diesel. Apart from that I still love em!
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Joking apart, mine has done 155k is a pain in the a..se but is was trouble free would I be happy? Great cars with character. I suppose I could buy a Toyota?
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

My one year report on my TD SX 1994 is as follows (exactly one year to the day)
Bought at 98k, blowing exhaust bad tyres
Summer 2004New backbox £90, Budget tyres £150
Winter 2004New Spheres all round £150
Dec 2004MOT Pass, no probs £35
Jan 2005 Hydraflush, Forte Stopleak added to remedy leaky heater matrix
Jan 2005 Timing Belt Changed £125
Feb 2005 Plip Packs Up, New Goodyear Hydragrip Tyres £170
March 2005 New Discs and Brake Pads £90
April 2005 Aux Drivebelt Changed
June 2005 118K (car serviced by garage at 98k and then by myself at 6k intervals)
Jobs anticipated. New glowplugs. Also wonder if the fuel pump is on the way out as when the car is warm it turns over on the starter for quite a while before starting. 10k into goodyear hydragrip and the rears look untouched but the front are probably half worn. Car still drives great and the hydraflush got rid of a lot of crap out of the suspension. Driving has largely been motorway based mixed with very short journies. Clutch release bearing is rattleing a bit and the clutch is heavy but not particularly high. Still happy with the car and anticipate running it for at least another year.[:)]
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Head gasket if you are unlucky! If you can get some oil/grease into the rear suspension arm bearings they probably wont fail. If you can drill a small hole in the arm between the bearings you can get some in that way, but remember to seal it up afterwards!