Xantia 1.9TD - Turbo is it knackered?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Scorbs
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD - Turbo is it knackered?

Post by Scorbs »

Is there any way of telling whether the turbo is knackered? My VSX estate is losing Oil and is blowing out blue smoke when starting after standing over night. I have a suspision that the oil seal in the turbo is leaking, but don't want to take the thing apart to find there'is nothing wrong.
any ideas
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have a look at this post - some of its relevant.http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=12768
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I would have said it's much more likely to be crispy valve stem oil seals. The turbo's on XUD's are almost bullet-proof. Usually a blown turbo will put smoke into the exhaust all the time when the engine is running. Smoke on startup only is where something has leaked oil into the combustion chanbers (slowly) and it burns off as the engine starts.
If that's the only symptom, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My newly aquired DTR turbo did this.
Had all the intake ducting, intercooler & filter casing apart and cleaned it out. I literally flushed all ducting with petrol several times.
The result was a rather thick oil/petrol mixture and of course clean ducting. Finished off with a new airfilter as the old one was soaked in oil from the crankcase breather.
No more blue startings [8D]
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Mine does this on startup, and can be a bit lumpy too. Put it down to stem seals being hard, all glow plugs, filters replaced.
if i leave house and go down route 'a' - v steep hill it will puff out a little blue smoke when going down under own steam. Once engine warmed up - and seals therefore softened, everything fine. This would explain slight use of oil.
Will check out and ensure all intake pipes are clean as per Anders post to see if helps.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

A turbo will WHINE LIKE HELL if its knackerd, an also your air intake pipes will be oil fouled. Whinning turbo is the bearings are shot, and to tell the difference between turbo whine and whistle, it will sound VERY LOUD and like a police car following you everywhere... Oil seals a bit harder, but just check for oily intake pipes..
I have just changed a turbo on a 1.9 TD, and it was a little fiddely, but managed ....